Sat-Jun-29 "Bay Leaf - Oxford - Bay Leaf" 104k perm-pop

Martin Shipp

Jun 28, 2024, 4:49:31 PMJun 28
to NC Rando
First, good luck and bon route to anyone doing "Cary to the Dairy" tomorrow.

The heat index out on the courses north of Raleigh is forecast to reach 97.
Forecast heat index for Raleigh is above 105.
I want to finish my ride well before that becomes an issue.

Therefore, I'm starting tomorrow at 0600
RWGPS of the route:  ( https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45223225 ).

This a Permanent, not a Brevet.
Therefore, to ride, in addition to being a RUSA member, one must also have registered for Permanents this year and register via the waiver process in/on the RUSA website.  For information on how to do that, see this link to the RUSA website which explains (I hope).

The start will be from the Bay Leaf CVS -- see the RWGPS link above.
Park around to the side of the CVS; i.e., park near NC-50/Creedmoor Rd.

Completing this perm-pop will count toward a P-12 Award and RUSA distance awards.  It will not count toward the Rouleur Award or the RUSA Cup; nor will it count toward any ACP distance awards.

Please feel welcome to contact me (on-line or off) if you have any questions.

Enjoy the ride,
...Martin

Ryan Hayden

Jun 28, 2024, 5:15:17 PMJun 28
to Martin Shipp, NC Rando
Hey All,
I did this last weekend in Danville. Only 3 have completed it and in under 24 hours.

I am, and my friend are the 2, and 3.

We started at 4:30am to beat some of the heat.
If you want to do something different.
Have fun over the weekend.
Ryan

Sent from my 👀phone 13 🚵🏾

Eric Stewart

Jun 28, 2024, 5:15:28 PMJun 28
to Martin Shipp, NC Rando
I've signed up and plan to join you tomorrow.

Nicholas Bronson

Jun 28, 2024, 6:35:14 PMJun 28
to Eric Stewart, Martin Shipp, NC Rando
That sounds fun too!  This week has been difficult for me to plan anything. I’ll fly solo tomorrow. Which is sometimes nice too.

Martin, do we have anything planned for July 12 that I’m not seeing? I want to make my July plans well ahead of time. Hopefully this will avoid my mad dash to get a ride in before the month ends.

I’ll post a ride here that gives us all lots of advanced notice.

Nick

Martin Shipp

Jun 28, 2024, 7:09:29 PMJun 28
to NC Rando
The "Oxford" route is the shortest and easiest of the three "north of Raleigh" perm-pops.
I thought about announcing an 0430 RBR (for 109k) or an 0500 Denny's Store (for 138k), but decided that an 0600 start would potentially be of more interest.

July 12th is a Friday.  No events scheduled for Fridays.

There are, however, two brevet-Populaires scheduled for Sundays in July and one brevet-Populaire scheduled for a Saturday in July.  The Sunday events are because of info that some that are (or may be) interested in giving Randonneuring a go, but always have to work on Saturdays, so:

RegionType
DatekmsRoute
Contact
RaleighRUSA populaire2024/07/07107Mt. Tirzah PopulaireMartin
RaleighRUSA populaire2024/07/14125Ravenstone - Denny's Store 125KMartin
RaleighRUSA populaire2024/07/20153Ravenstone Mayo Lake PopulaireMartin

Doing those three rides and the two that are currently scheduled for August would make the required rides for the RUSA Rouleur Award.

"lots of advanced notice" for a Permanent in an attempt to draw a crowd is a good thing.

Enjoy the ride,
...Martin

Nicholas Bronson

Jun 28, 2024, 7:37:46 PMJun 28
to Martin Shipp, NC Rando
lol oops! Yeah I meant that Saturday. But Sunday is just as good. Thank you Martin!

Nick