STEAL THIS IDEA-Ride of Silence Press Release as an advocacy tool

Steven Hardy-Braz

May 11, 2024, 8:52:47 PMMay 11
to BikeWalkAdvocates, Ted Silver, BWNC Outreach, Tim Potter, Terry Lansdell, Heidi Perov, Mike S, Trish, Galen Mook, 'Martin Shipp' via NC Rando Cyclists, in...@bikedurham.org, Carter Lavin from Carter’s Substack, in...@adventurecycling.org, pb...@pedbikeinfo.org, in...@peopleforbikes.org, in...@bikemaine.org, Charles Brown, Anna Zivarts

Feel free to share or pass on to whomever might also benefit

Hey y'all-

Here is an idea that is in the spirit of both Steal This Book and the free sharing of other well known advocacy ideas.

As I am sure many of you know, this Wednesday is the third Wednesday of May so it is time for the Ride of Silence. An annual evening ride that is done in solidarity worldwide the same night and time (in your appropriate time zone) for over two decades now.  This will be my first year co-hosting our local (Greenville, NC) version after 18 years of being the host. IMHO, It is an extremely powerful ride here and one that I have worked to shape it into a respectful memorial ride for those who have been hurt or killed while riding but also an advocacy ride for safer and more accessible streets for everyone as a way to raise awareness and be preventive as well as a remembrance.  Your local mileage may vary so you do what works for you, I just thought I'd share an example and a resource that will cost you next to nothing but a little bit of your time and a few electrons.

I've attached the pre-event press release that went out today in our local newspaper, The Daily Reflector in a pdf file.  I've also attached the press release I emailed them and each of our three television stations.  The text of that release will also be at the end of this email.  In addition to the typical Who, What, Where, When, Why, How Much, and How to get more info in a typical press release I throw in local issues, state laws, commentary from Complete Streets, Vision Zero, current issues upon which we are working.  Read my release and you see the examples I try to squeeze into a single page while I am promoting the ride and advertising it so more people are aware of it and things we'd like to see in terms of safer streets.  Then read the newspaper story.  What you'll see is something that I have learned by working with reporters and the press.  Give them a copy of the release as a pdf and text in the body of the email and state clearly that they are free to use any and all of it.  You do that and you are almost guaranteed coverage.  I already have a  trio of local cyclists doing a long interview on Tuesday afternoon and confirmations form all three stations that they'll be there Wednesday unless something major happens e.g. a war breaks out or something like that.

So in the spirit of collaboration and doing some of the work for you.  Please steal the idea.  Steal my press release with modifications to fit your locality and ride details. Y'all doing something results in a force multiplier, raises awareness of rules of the road beyond just the participating cyclists, makes more people aware of the issues and things everyone can do to reduce the horrific death rates on our streets.  Also it makes everywhere better to cycle across the state, country, or world (universe if you're thinking really big picture like Boise, Idaho has for years) so in the end, we all win for our team(s).

I hope it helps.

Keep up your good advocacy work because our world is better because of people like you doing things so that others can live life better and safer.

Steven Hardy-Braz

                                                                TEXT of Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RLEASE

Date line:May 15th, 2024 Greenville, NC

Pitt County/Greenville, NC Ride of Silence

Local cyclists are again hosting a local edition of the international Ride of Silence on May, 15th, 2024.This will be the 19th time that local organizers have put together this annual international event in the city of Greenville.This free, silent ride is to raise awareness for the increasing need for safer, inclusive, and accessible streets for all, to honor those bicycle riders who have been killed or injured, and raise awareness of both cyclists and motorists safely sharing appropriately designed complete streets. The Covid-19 pandemic and statewide stay at home order led to dramatic increases in the number of people cycling, running, and walking as people enjoyed their communities outside and sought to increase their personal heath. At the same time, nationwide, our shared roads have some of the highest ever recorded deaths and serious injuries.While some of this is due to the increasing number of vulnerable road users (VRUs) out biking, rolling, and walking, the typical motor vehicle is increasing in physical mass and does not have adequate safety features for the protection of people outside of cars or trucks, limited legal consequences for drivers who injure or kill a VRU, and public roadways that are frequently designed in ways that are dangerous, if not deadly, to anyone using them who is not surrounded by tons of metal.With over 40,000 people killed on public roads in the US annually for the past several years, the USDOT recognizes the growing need for safer roads for all users wether they are walking, running, operating a wheelchair, riding a bike, or driving a motor vehicle.With a very low percentage of local roads having sidewalks on both sides, many sidewalks remain inaccessible to people with mobility impairments forcing them into the roadway against the flow of other traffic, most crosswalks unmarked with any kind of paint, most crosswalk signals-in the few places where they exist, lack auditory cues, posted high maximum speed limits, and the removal of red light violation cameras-Greenville is ranked in NC in the top ten cities for being the most dangerous in which to drive.The rate of car crashes, fatalities, serious injuries, and property damage leads to everyone paying higher insurance rates and having an increased likelihood of experiencing a crash with all of the related trauma.The high rate of crashes on local roads also consumes greater amounts of resources from our medical, police, fire, and emergency agencies. Since North Carolina has an annual fatality rate in which the percentage of VRUs is greater than 15%, it is now under a federal mandate to spend a higher percentage of its federal highway funds towards efforts on reducing the number of killings of cyclists, runners, and mobility impaired individuals/other pedestrians on shared public roads

The need for interventions and public awareness continues to grow and the Ride of Silence reminds us all of the tremendous trauma, pain, suffering, and costs people experience every day.Our lack of safe and accessible roadways on which we expect drivers to be responsible and attentive, dangerously designed motor vehicles, incompletely built streets which lack bilateral sidewalks that are well maintained, and a legal system that is primarily focused upon motor vehicle drivers all contribute to almost 1,000 people being killed every week of the year.That does not include people killed by cars in driveways, parking lots, or private roadways.That number is also exponentially larger when looking at people who are seriously injured single every day on our public roadways.

In order to increase safety, motorists are reminded to drive at a rate that is less than the maximum speed limit signs indicate, yield to vulnerable road users, not to text while driving, and to share the roads with all users. NC state law requires motorists to change lanes completely or provide at least 4 feet of clearance when passing any cyclist in a no passing zone.Cyclists are reminded to remain off city sidewalks, ride with the traffic flow, and obey all traffic signals. Pedestrians, which wheelchair users are consider to be by state law, are reminded to use existing sidewalks that are accessible, crosswalks and crosswalk signals where they exist, and to follow state law that mandates they move in the roadway along the side but move counter to the flow of vehicular traffic.

This approximately twelve mile long, ride is free and open to all ages. It is done in silence to remember those lost and reflect upon needed safety and accessibility improvements.It is always held on the third Wednesday of May so riders all over the world will be participating at the same time.Bicycle helmets must be worn, and the use of rear, red, blinking safety lights is recommended as are white lights in the front. There is no registration fee for this public event.Bicycle riders of all ages and types are encouraged to join this police vehicle escorted ride.It shall be ridden as a group at about a 12 mph pace.The roads will remain open to motorized traffic but the cycling group will remain in one lane on multilane roadways. Cyclists should plan to gather at the Greenville Bicycle Company at 802 Clark St. at 6pm for a 6:30 launch.The silent ride is expected to be completed around 7:45pm.It is being sponsored, supported, and marshaled by local cyclists, escorted and followed by the Greenville Police Department as a permitted public parade, and mechanical support has been offered from the local bicycle shop, Greenville Bicycle Company. The approved parade route shall highlight several of Greenville’s and NCDOT’s infrastructural safety features that have been made as well as many that continue to be needed.In accordance with city laws, riders are forbidden to ride upon sidewalks within city limits.Cyclists will have to cross sets of railroad tracks at different locations and are encouraged to always do so perpendicularly to the tracks so as to avoid being thrown when bicycle wheels become stuck between the tracks and the pavement.Perceived road hazards (e.g. potholes, non-functioning traffic lights, broken glass, parallel drainage grates, debris, loose gravel, etc) along the route have already been reported via the city’s public works Compass application.Cyclists riding elsewhere are always encouraged to document and report road hazards to the city and to the NCDOT via their website at https://www.ncdot.gov/contact

Media personnel and community leaders are especially encouraged to join the ride and/or come talk with cyclists at the Pitt St brewery for a post ride social.Anita’s Mexican Street Food will have one of their food trucks at the brewery for everyone’s enjoyment as well.

More information, graphics, and resources on the national event can be located at: http://www.rideofsilence.org/or   https://www.facebook.com/rideofsilence/

Local ride organizer’s contact information for more information, route details, etc:

Steven Hardy-BrazDavid Manning

252.717.0490 (m)252.916.0664 (m)###

Ride of Silence set for Wednesday in Greenville | Local News | reflector.com.pdf
ROS 2024 Press Release.pdf

Steven Hardy-Braz

May 13, 2024, 1:25:53 PMMay 13
to John Tallmadge, BikeWalkAdvocates, Ted Silver, BWNC Outreach, Tim Potter, Terry Lansdell, Heidi Perov, Mike S, Trish, Galen Mook, 'Martin Shipp' via NC Rando Cyclists, in...@bikedurham.org, Carter Lavin from Carter’s Substack, in...@adventurecycling.org, pb...@pedbikeinfo.org, in...@peopleforbikes.org, in...@bikemaine.org, Charles Brown, Anna Zivarts

Thanks, John. If you go to http://www.rideofsilence.org/locations-domestic.php you can click on any state and you'll see all of the locations who have informed the national group that they are doing an event.

I believe that Oliver from BWNC is going to be pushing all of NC's ROS events out this week as well

I hope yours and everyone else's goes well

SHB