RE: {NC Ginseng Association} Article in Washington Post

Edward Fletcher

Jun 26, 2013, 9:12:41 AM6/26/13
to Chris Watson, nc-ginseng-...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

Thanks for monitoring these issues. I was aware of the Washington Post article, but not of the Hendersonville paper about 75% few permits.... can you forward to those of us outside of the area. Is it on line?

This is indeed a good thing for wild simulated in my opinion.

Genuinely,
Edward J. Fletcher
Strategic Sourcing, Inc.
Botanical Division, C.O.O.
828.898.7642
Fax.898.7647
Efle...@StrategicSourcingInc.net
www.StrategicSourcingInc.net
Jun 26, 2013, 9:20:53 AM6/26/13
to Edward Fletcher, nc-ginseng-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ed,

Here is the article from the Hendersonville news: http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20130622/NEWS/130629939

MoonBranch Botanicals

Jun 26, 2013, 2:47:10 PM6/26/13
to Chris Watson, nc-ginseng-...@googlegroups.com
The illusion is that this will be good for growers and to some degree the reality bears this out. It will be good news for growers with tight security in place.

The reality is that this, as with most policy that is (usually) made in a vacuum, will create a myriad of unintended consequences. Now that the biologists and botanists have spoken, perhaps we should hear something from market economists and anthropologists. History shows that prohibition is always good for those willing to incur the risks associated with breaking the law for a profit. Perhaps we should consider that is exactly the intent of this, one can only speculate.

For those who are willing to engage in some level of critical thought, I would say that we should expect the following as a result:
  1. skyrocketing prices for roots that appear to be "wild"
  2. an increase in ginseng related and other "illegal" activity on affected lands
  3. an increase in the risk of theft on private lands
  4. the likelihood of the development of an emergent organized blackmarket/crime element associated with the trade of ginseng

Any others? I'm sure in my quick assessment I have missed some....

-Robin

Saw this article this morning about Maryland banning ginseng harvesting on state lands.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/maryland-bans-wild-ginseng-harvest-on-state-land-upsetting-diggers/2013/06/22/eb02d00c-d9d6-11e2-a9f2-42ee3912ae0e_story.html

Also saw in the Hendersonville newspaper the other day where Pisgah NF is cutting permits this year by 75%. Good news for wild simulated growers?

Chris

Robin Alton Suggs
MoonBranch Botanicals
5294 Yellow Creek Road
Robbinsville, North Carolina 28771
USA

Telephone: 828.479.2788
Email: moonb...@earthlink.net
Websites:
www.moonbranch.com  &  www.localharvest.org/store/M16074

Member:
Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project; Farm Partner
Green Products Alliance
North Carolina Consortium on Natural Medicines
North Carolina Goodness Grows/NCDA&CS
United Plant Savers

There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root. - Henry David Thoreau