July Meeting Minutes

Chris Watson

Jul 27, 2013, 10:02:12 AM7/27/13
to nc-ginseng-...@googlegroups.com
All,

Please see the meeting minutes below. Note that we are looking to have our annual meeting on Saturday August 17th from 1-3 at the Madison County Extension Center. Please RSVP to Robert as soon as possible so we can plan accordingly.

NC Ginseng Association Meeting Minutes

Madison County CES Center

NC Ginseng Association

July 18, 2013, 2 PM to 3 PM

1 - Call to order and noting those present and those on the speaker phone.

  • Robert Eidus, Chris Watson, Jenn Beck, Ed Fletcher (via phone)

Old Business:

1 - USDA Small Socially-Disadvantaged Producer Grant Committee report by Chris Watson

(a) Articles of Incorporation submitted and accepted by the State

(b) Bylaws have been developed, need board members to review and we need to continue to develop and discuss. Much of how we structure the by-laws will depend on what we decide the organization’s roles will be.

(c) submission date and status – grant submitted on July 15th

(d) Board of Directors (Eidus, Neuliep, Berry, Wilson, Walsh and Smith).

A big thank you to Jason Battaglia for help with report writing plus forms and DUN #, Chris’s dad for editing, Paula Ellentuck for help on the by-laws and to our encouragers for their “Support Letter(s)” including: WNC Alliance written by Bob Gale, Blue Ridge Seeds of Change, written by Lauri Wilson, United Plant Savers, written by Susan Leopold, Madison County Extension, written by Ross Young and Ridge Runner, written by Tony Hayes. In addition, Pat Ford supervisor wrote a note of encouragement since a letter was not possible in the time constraints.

New Business:

1 - Pat Ford’s letter concerning (a) Contracting terms with MRHC (b) seed acquisition.

  • There appears to be a seed shortage this year. Ed to check on whether we could get the 70lbs needed to grow the requested amount of roots for Mtn. Rose.
  • Still no idea on pricing for 2-3yr old roots from Mtn. Rose.
  • We discussed the need for a NC Ginseng seed producer. Anyone have any ideas about who could grow and supply seeds to WNC?

2 - Negotiations with MRHC

·        Chris to send Mtn. Rose an email summarizing where we are and what we are working on. Robert followed up with Brian via phone.

3 - Setting date of third Thursday on calendar for next meeting

  • Next meeting we would like to schedule for August 17 (Saturday) from 1-3pm for our annual meeting. This would be a chance to discuss the vision for the organization and how to move forward. Robert working on getting a guest speaker. Event would take place at Madison County Extension Center. PLEASE RSVP TO ROBERT ASAP IF YOU PLAN ON ATTENDING!