nbgit 0.3 .gitignore issues

bhauff

Nov 6, 2009, 4:13:19 PM11/6/09
to nbgit
Hello,

I have been testing the nbgit v0.3 plugin in Netbeans 6.7 on Windows
with all patches applied. I am having difficulty with the .gitignore
support. If these are know issues then please disregard. When
removing entries from the .gitignore I only see in the git status
report that .gitignore was changed. There is no indication that there
are now untracked files, as you see from the command line with git.
Even restarting Netbeans does not cause these untracked files to show
up. I can add a new file to my project, run git status and see it as
new. I can then add that file to .gitignore, and it disappears from
git status. If I clear out that file from .gitignore is does not show
back up as a new file.

I hope this is all clear.

Thanks,

Brandon Hauff

Jonas Fonseca

Nov 8, 2009, 10:09:22 PM11/8/09
to nb...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 16:13, bhauff <bha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,

Hello,

It could be related with how nbgit status scan results are cached on
disk and causes this stale information to be displayed. Can you try to
delete .netbeans/6.7/var/cache/gitcache/ and see if this fixes it?

--
Jonas Fonseca

bhauff

Nov 10, 2009, 5:19:49 PM11/10/09
to nbgit
Hi,

Sorry about the slow response. Clearing the gitcache folder does
correctly update the git status in Netbeans.

Another issue I noticed. You have to restart Netbeans in order for
git status to recognize that a .gitignore file is in fact not
changed. I have noticed this when adding something to .gitignore, and
then later reverting changes to .gitignore.

Thanks,

Brandon Hauff

bhauff

Nov 10, 2009, 5:14:36 PM11/10/09
to nbgit
Hi Jonas,

Sorry for the delay in replying. If I delete the gitcache folder and
restart Netbeans then the untracked files show up. I guess the
caching on Windows anyways isn't clearing.

Also, I have found that if you modify the .gitignore file in Netbeans,
and then revert those changes, git from the command line will indicate
a clean working directory, however, git status in Netbeans is
saying .gitignore has been modified. Restarting Netbeans will clear
out that modified status.

Thanks,

Brandon Hauff

Jonas Fonseca

Nov 13, 2009, 7:07:40 AM11/13/09
to nb...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 17:14, bhauff <bha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the delay in replying.  If I delete the gitcache folder and
> restart Netbeans then the untracked files show up.  I guess the
> caching on Windows anyways isn't clearing.

Thanks for testing this. It should affect all platforms. Question is
if the caching can simply be ripped out. It is my understanding that
the code originates all the way back to the CVS plugin and has then
just been copied to SVN and Mercurial and finally nbgit. In terms of
caching file status information, git has the index, which should be
superior in many aspects. Furthermore, not having two layers of cache
to refresh (.git/index and gitcache) would also make nbgit work much
better with using git from the terminal, I think.. Hope to get some
free time to look into that soon.

> Also, I have found that if you modify the .gitignore file in Netbeans,
> and then revert those changes, git from the command line will indicate
> a clean working directory, however, git status in Netbeans is
> saying .gitignore has been modified.  Restarting Netbeans will clear
> out that modified status.

I don't know if this could be the same thing. At least I am starting
to be convinced that gitcache should be ripped out for good.

--
Jonas Fonseca