Feature requests (Was: is Nbgit dead?)

Jonathan Share

Mar 26, 2009, 5:55:00 AM3/26/09
to nb...@googlegroups.com
2009/3/26 Jonas Fonseca <jonas....@gmail.com>:

> On another note, there has not been a lot of people other than Alex
> and I involved in nbgit. I am grateful for those who have tested it
> and submitted bugs, but not a lot of users have written on this list
> with comments on what they would like to have working, etc. These sort
> of encouragements for me are important, since the plugin for the most
> part scratches my own itch (showing changed lines in the editor).

As you asked... features I would love to see are;
1) .gitignore support working (I know this is an upstream issue with
JGit but is the main reason I switch back to GitX when I've changed
more than one file in a commit)
2) A GitX style commit dialog (cherry picking hunks to go into a
commit). It's very often I will fix codestyle changes along with the
real work. I prefer to set these up as separate commits.
3) Interactive rebase support. If I've worked on several things or
done some code style changes in-between I sometimes like to do an
interactive rebase before pushing/svn dcommiting so that commits are
grouped logically and implemented functionality can be easily reverted
if necessary.

Thanks for the good work so far.

Jon

BrodocK

Mar 30, 2009, 5:25:35 PM3/30/09
to nbgit
For me, i would like to see it working on Netbeans 6.7 M2+ (this
release is special because it has a better interface on mac, i don't
know if they used cocoa, but it just looks like it).

On 26 mar, 06:55, Jonathan Share <jon.sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jonathan Share

Mar 30, 2009, 6:23:29 PM3/30/09
to nb...@googlegroups.com
2009/3/30 BrodocK <bro...@gmail.com>:

> For me, i would like to see it working on Netbeans 6.7 M2+ (this
> release is special because it has a better interface on mac, i don't
> know if they used cocoa, but it just looks like it).

It does work on Netbeans 6.7 M2. My patch for issue 36 was taken into
the master 3 days ago. http://github.com/myabc/nbgit/tree/master

Alex Coles

Mar 30, 2009, 6:26:54 PM3/30/09
to nb...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Jonathan Share <jon....@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/3/30 BrodocK <bro...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> For me, i would like to see it working on Netbeans 6.7 M2+ (this
>> release is special because it has a better interface on mac, i don't
>> know if they used cocoa, but it just looks like it).
>
> It does work on Netbeans 6.7 M2. My patch for issue 36 was taken into
> the master 3 days ago. http://github.com/myabc/nbgit/tree/master

Yep, you'll need to build from source for the time-being. If there's
demand though we can upload a patched release.

I don't think NetBeans 6.7M2+ hooks into any Cocoa APIs directly
(although the Java implementation on OS X as of a few releases ago, is
based on Cocoa and not Carbon). I agree though it does look better!

Alex

uip...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2009, 11:56:03 AM4/8/09
to nbgit
I am using NetBeans 6.7 M3 on Leopard and want git integration for my
new JSF 2.0 component library project. I wrongfully assumed that NBGit
was a dead project, because no new plugin updates have been posted
since last year.

I don't develop NetBeans plugins and prefer to have a working 6.7 M3
version of NBGit as an installable plugin available for download.
Please post one as soon as you can, I believe that many people are
trying NetBeans for the first time due to the improvements in 6.7 and
find that your current plugin appears to be outdated.

On Mar 30, 3:26 pm, Alex Coles <alex.co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Jonathan Share <jon.sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2009/3/30 BrodocK <brod...@gmail.com>:
>
> >> For me, i would like to see it working on Netbeans 6.7 M2+ (this
> >> release is special because it has a better interface on mac, i don't
> >> know if they used cocoa, but it just looks like it).
>
> > It does work on Netbeans 6.7 M2. My patch for issue 36 was taken into
> > the master 3 days ago.http://github.com/myabc/nbgit/tree/master

bhauff

Apr 27, 2009, 6:13:35 PM4/27/09
to nbgit
An installable plugin working with the current Netbeans 6.7 M3
and .gitignore support would be great!

Jonas Fonseca

Apr 29, 2009, 4:38:13 AM4/29/09
to nb...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 00:13, bhauff <bha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> An installable plugin working with the current Netbeans 6.7 M3
> and .gitignore support would be great!

I agree that nbgit should be closely tied to the 6.7 development,
which now is entering beta. Later we can decide if a separate download
should be available for 6.5 etc. I tested if the module can be
installed from source in M3 and I didn't find any problems; it is made
available in the new "Team" menu.

.gitignore support is crucial but lacking in JGit although I have the
impression something is being tested in the eclipse plugin.

Anyway, I am currently reading the Rich Client Programming book and
getting some much needed insights into how NetBeans works.

--
Jonas Fonseca

Lincoln Stoll

Apr 29, 2009, 8:05:30 AM4/29/09
to nb...@googlegroups.com
Is JGit still definitely the way forward? I've forked off the old cli
branch, and made a few hacks to get status (including ignored) and
committing working properly, and I'm probably going to do further work
here. I'm dogfooding it myself, and much happier now ignored files
aren't showing up in the list. It still needs plenty of other features
added, but correct status and committing is 99% of my usage.

It's not just the .gitignore thing, but JGit also doesn't seem to
support submodules, instead throwing an exception - which is
frustrating. I note that one of the reasons for choosing JGit was
better cross platform, and tighter integration. Command line seems
good enough for the mercurial module and the IntelliJ git module, plus
git is getting much better on windows.

Thoughts?

Linc.

Nick Tidey

Apr 30, 2009, 1:18:39 AM4/30/09
to nbgit
I too would be glad to see an updated pre-built version of this for
6.7beta.

Cheers
Nick

BrodocK