Keeping the Heartbeat of Your Phenology Program

rb4freedom

Oct 29, 2021, 4:12:41 PM10/29/21
to Nature’s Notebook Community Forum
Hi All :)

When you have periods of low observation counts, how do ensure your program stays the course with your intended research?

Chris Tolman

Nov 12, 2021, 4:03:08 PM11/12/21
to Nature’s Notebook Community Forum
Just curious, are you referring to times when there is not much to observe? such as winter months when much is dormant? or are you referring to times when observations just aren't being completed for other reasons?
I am also wondering how to keep volunteers engaged during slow observation months  - especially when it is below zero for extended periods of time. Are there other activities or other species to monitor in slow months to keep people engaged?

Caryn Beiter

Nov 16, 2021, 3:03:21 PM11/16/21
to Chris Tolman, Nature’s Notebook Community Forum
Like Chris, I am uncertain about what the specific question is, but thought I'd add to the general engagement inquiry. I live in Maine so other than skunk cabbage, observations aren't being done between late November and April (when "No's" become important again) so last year I started a phenology-themed book club. We read 1-2 chapters each month and met via zoom to discuss Walden Warming by Richard Primack. It's a great book to read in general, but highly recommended for anyone in the northeast. This worked so well that I will be facilitating another one this winter.....book TBD. I have a short list going if anyone is interested.

Best,
Caryn

Caryn Beiter
Pronouns: she, her, hers (Learn more)
Coordinator, School and Docent Programs
Wells National Estuarine Research Reserve
(207) 646-1555 ext. 110
www.wellsreserve.org

Nov 17, 2021, 12:41:49 PM11/17/21
to Caryn Beiter, Chris Tolman, Nature’s Notebook Community Forum
That is a great idea!  Have you read braiding sweetgrass by Kimmerer?  That might add a different point of view!
Liz

Nov 18, 2021, 11:24:57 AM11/18/21
to Chris Tolman, Nature’s Notebook Community Forum
Hi all,

During the winter, we at Earthwise Aware organize periodic walks at or near our survey sites and work together to identify trees by bark, and by twig and bud configuration. It is a fun way to get out there together and continue practicing our observational skills. We can record our "No's" at the same time when we are at an actual survey site. Looking at the dormant stages scratches the phenology itch and I find that I am more attuned to leaf bud swelling in the spring, which I see as an important phenophase, as well as a really wonderful phenomenon. Additionally, we look and listen for birds while in the forest and are planning a winter fungi walk with a collaborator (not pheno, but fun!).

References we use are 'Woody Plants in Winter' by Earl P. Core and Nelle P. Ammons (West Virginia University Press) and 'Bark: A Field Guide to Trees of the Northeast' by Michael Wojtech (Brandeis University Press)

Happy off-season!

  Jennifer

Fayer, Liz

Nov 18, 2021, 12:14:07 PM11/18/21
to Jennifer Clifford, Chris Tolman, Nature’s Notebook Community Forum
I agree. I love my winter watching!  We get some early flowers like our Pasque, which is fun to watch for and then everything seems to explode all at once!  Does Earthwise have a website we can visit? The book looks great too! I’ve also been researching Indigenous uses for barks and many other plants, which may add additional interest! Liz

Nov 18, 2021, 1:26:23 PM11/18/21
to Fayer, Liz, Chris Tolman, Nature’s Notebook Community Forum
Sure, the website is below. Perhaps you are familiar with Claire O'Neill, EwA's founder. Have fun with your project!

--
  Jennifer

Fayer, Liz

Nov 19, 2021, 12:01:17 AM11/19/21
to Jennifer Clifford, Chris Tolman, Nature’s Notebook Community Forum
Thank you for sharing!