An update from the Education program at the USA-NPN

LoriAnne Barnett

Nov 25, 2020, 5:11:52 PM11/25/20
to Nature’s Notebook Community Forum
Hi Friends,

First, I want to say how thankful I, and the rest of the USA-NPN National Coordinating Office Staff, are that you serve as volunteer leaders for our organization. We have come such a long way over the last 10 years, and that is largely due to your efforts as Local Phenology Leaders, recruiting observers in your towns, teaching students and volunteers about the value of long-term phenology data, and how this information is critical to understanding our planet’s species response to climate change. We simply could not have built such a robust data set and program without your efforts.

Secondly, much more bittersweet, I’m writing with some news - I am leaving my post as Education Coordinator for the network this Friday, November 27th. This was a very difficult decision to make because of everything that we’ve co-created over the last 10 years, all of the wonderful interactions I’ve had with each of you as leaders - in our courses and at conferences - are the very things that I cherish about this part of my career. You all have inspired me to continue to push the limits of what can be done, how to manage volunteers from afar, and how to implement citizen science at all of the fabulous places across the country that I have visited or hope to visit some day.

Here is a report I’ve written based on what we’ve done together and what I hope for the future of the Education Program at the USA-National Phenology Network. Much of it is grounded on the work Local Phenology Leaders have done with me and their needs for making Nature’s Notebook a success. Relatedly, Erin will be circulating our 2020 annual Local Phenology Program survey soon, as well as advertising for our 2021 installment of the PhenoChampion Awards, so please, if you can, take a few minutes to share your successes on that survey from the wild year that 2020 has been - I know there are more than a few successes despite where we’ve found ourselves this year!

I will be moving to the Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management, into the urban forestry division, where I will continue to promote the use of Nature’s Notebook and citizen science, look to establish long term monitoring programs, and possibly have the opportunity to continue to teach classes about getting started with Nature’s Notebook. I am also very involved with the Arizona Master Naturalist Program and the national alliance for natural resource service outreach providers (ANROSP). I will continue to participate there, promoting citizen science, as well as with the North American Association for Environmental Education, and our local affiliate Arizona Association for Environmental Education. So if you travel in any of those circles, I look forward to seeing you sometime soon either online or at an in person conference.

Here is my email address which I will hope you will use to keep in touch: lori...@azmasternaturalist.org, and it is also subscribed to our Leaders’ forum, on which you are receiving this message.

So with that, I wish each of you the best of luck for the future! I hope you all have a little bit of a break built into this week where you can relax and enjoy some time, safely, with people in your secure bubble. Have a great holiday season and I look forward to connecting with you on the leader’s forum soon!

Cheers!
la

_____

Need to connect with our team? Sign up for an office hours time slot!
Bring your technical questions to M,W,F time slots and your program questions to T,Th time slots.

LoriAnne Barnett
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers (Why Pronouns Matter)
Education Coordinator | USA National Phenology Network | Nature's Notebook
National Coordinating Office | University of Arizona | 1311 E 4th Street, Suite 325 | Tucson AZ 85721

sprimm

Nov 25, 2020, 6:49:19 PM11/25/20
to Nature’s Notebook Community Forum
Wow! This is a big change. Best of luck, LoriAnne, and thank you for your guidance over the last couple of years. I hope we cross paths again before too long.

Educating Children Outdoors LLC - Kathy Balman

Nov 25, 2020, 10:24:11 PM11/25/20
to LoriAnne Barnett, Nature’s Notebook Community Forum
Wow what a change. Best of luck and congratulations. I cannot wait to learn more about your new position and projects.

Kathy Balman
Educating Children Outdoors Director and Educator
AZ Certified Environmental Educator & AZ Master Naturalist

678-457-0802
Ecoexpl...@gmail.com
www.educatingchildrenoutdoors.com

www.twitter.com/ecoexplorersusa
www.instagram.com/ecoexplorersusa
www.instagram.com/nerdyforbirdies
www.twitter.com/nerdyforbirdies

Hashtags: #ecoexplorersusa #nerdyforbirdies

Caitlin Potter

Nov 26, 2020, 10:42:11 AM11/26/20
to Educating Children Outdoors LLC - Kathy Balman, LoriAnne Barnett, Nature’s Notebook Community Forum
Congratulations, LoriAnne! What a big and exciting move! I hope you find lots of adventure, challenge and success in your new position.

Best,
Caitlin

--
Caitlin Barale Potter, Ph.D (she/her/hers)
Education and Community Engagement Coordinator

Theresa Crimmins

Nov 30, 2020, 11:07:41 AM11/30/20
to Caitlin Potter, Educating Children Outdoors LLC - Kathy Balman, LoriAnne Barnett, Nature’s Notebook Community Forum
Dear wonderful phenology leaders,

It is a major transition for us all for LoriAnne to move on to another position. The remaining staff here at the USA-NPN National Coordinating Office will be doing all we can to ensure continued support for you and for all of our dedicated volunteers. We are so grateful for all of your efforts - our program wouldn't be a program without you!

Sincerely,
Theresa

Theresa M. Crimmins, PhD
Director | USA National Phenology Network | Nature's Notebook
National Coordinating Office | University of Arizona | 1311 E 4th Street, Suite 325 | Tucson AZ 85721
Phone: (520) 621-8523 | Twitter: @TheresaCrimmins

Erin Posthumus

Nov 30, 2020, 12:36:58 PM11/30/20
to Nature’s Notebook Community Forum
LoriAnne's departure is bittersweet for sure! USA-NPN will not be the same without her. We all wish her the best in her new position!

The remaining staff here at the USA-NPN National Coordinating Office will continue to support you and your Local Phenology Programs. We greatly value the critical care you provide to your observers.

If you are wondering who to contact with your various questions, here is a rough guideline:

sup...@usanpn.org - Technical questions about Nature's Notebook accounts, the Nature's Notebook app, etc. This is answered by our IT team of Lee Marsh and Jeff Switzer.

gro...@usanpn.org - New Local Phenology Program questions, requests to add new administrators to current groups, requests to change LPP names, etc. I answer this one.

pheno...@usanpn.org - Questions about the Nature's Notebook protocols (tricky plant phenophase questions, etc). Ellen Denny answers this one.

We also have a little Help link at the top of the USA-NPN/Nature's Notebook website where you can find answers to common questions as well as a contact form that will get your question to the right place.

And, you can always email me (er...@usanpn.org) if you are unsure where to send your question!

Thanks for all that you do, we sure appreciate you all!

Erin Posthumus
Outreach Coordinator, USA-NPN

celerylady

Dec 2, 2020, 6:03:05 PM12/2/20
to Nature’s Notebook Community Forum
Lori,
It was great working with you in the phenology certification program.  What a great experience that program has been in my life.  Your program gave me purpose and drive and the will to create a phenology trail at Priddy Woods, which is my home.  I have named it after my late son in law, Ryan Conrad, it is called the Rycon Phenology Trail.
So, thank you and may you have many fruitful and meaning years at your new position.  They are blessed to have you on board.
I hope to run into you down the road.
I am in the throes of choosing the trees on the Rycon trail, labeling them and beginning the tasks of entering them into Natures Notebook.   Then, doing all the observations and sharing and education and the fun will continue.  I will be more active now in natures notebook and hope to take more courses and teach many folks along the way.
All my best,
Becky

Claire O'Neill

Dec 2, 2020, 6:19:02 PM12/2/20
to Nature’s Notebook Community Forum
We will all miss you in your NPN role LoriAnne!

I so enjoyed last year's LPL Clinic, and the many LPL meetings and interactions that we had. I know where to find you, but still...
This being said I am happy for whatever career move and life change that fulfill your life, LoriAnne, and I wish you the very best dear friend! :-)

Cheers! - Claire

claire...@earthwiseaware.org

+1 781-883-5970 | LinkedIn Profile

Nature Conservation as a Way Of Life

www.earthwiseaware.org | EwA Newsletter Signup »

🧡 Become an EwA #ScienceForAll Ambassador » Donate