Treefrog, etc.

rmb...@istar.ca

Apr 17, 2023, 9:21:26 AM4/17/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday afternoon as we were working near the garage I heard the
loud trilling of a treefrog, and managed to track it down, it was
hiding in a fold of the tarp over the dog cage.

The return to chilly weather has certainly silenced the chorus of
peepers in the little frog pond this morning. Last evening they were
sure calling, along with several toads and a couple of leopard frogs.
I was hoping for more rain, it's been getting scary dry out here,
we've only had a light shower. I may bundle up this evening and go
check the roadside pond for salamander activity. In the 2 ponds I
have only seen spotted salamanders in singles, not the milling about
mating activity. I was hoping the rain would liven things up.

The heat sure brought out the moths, a few dozen of them at the window
last night in spite of the wind. Also a pustulated carrion beetle,
one small June bug, and a giant water bug. I'll put the light on
tonight just to see if anything shows up.

The purple finches are back, there have been 3 pair of them fighting
with the now bright yellow goldfinches at the feeder, a colourful sight.

Rose-Marie
7560treefrog.jpg

Candice Vetter

Apr 17, 2023, 1:04:59 PM4/17/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com

Frog songs from Saturday night (April 15) in our swamp.

---
Candice
FrogSongs.MP3

rmb...@istar.ca

Apr 17, 2023, 2:01:10 PM4/17/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful, lots of wood frogs. I have a similar recording on my phone
but can't figure out how to upload it.

RoseMarie

uoting Candice Vetter <cve...@xplornet.com>:

> Frog songs from Saturday night (April 15) in our swamp.
>
> ---
> Candice
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/naturelist/16ad42bdfc1d38430002e489e9737a9b%40xplornet.com.

Matt Keevil

Apr 17, 2023, 8:50:39 PM4/17/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Hi RoseMarie, on my iPhone I go to the recording and use share -> email to email the file to myself. Then I download it from email to my PC where I can upload it to iNaturalist etc.. There may be a better way but that is the solution I have found.

Matt

Tana McDaniel

Apr 17, 2023, 9:03:17 PM4/17/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
I've never had a problem uploading sound files directly to inaturalist on my phone but wish the microphone was better.

Anyone attach a directional mike or sound recording device to their phone?

Candice Vetter

Apr 20, 2023, 5:20:11 PM4/20/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com

It appears Taggarts are doing something to Quarry Lake--there are no birds using it, even when no people are there working. We are concerned they have put something in the water. Anyone have ideas what it could be? Someone suggested electric shock or chemicals. Anyone know who to report this to? I have tried numerous ministries, etc. but so far no change.

---
Candice

Frederick W. Schueler

Apr 20, 2023, 5:28:02 PM4/20/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
* I wouldn't want to say a good word about Taggarts, but it seems the
Geese and Gulls have fairly suddenly left the Bishops Mills area, and
maybe this has happened in Russell?

The only industrial bird-discouraging antic I've seen was the floating
bangers on the Tar Sands tailing ponds at Fort McMurray.

fred.
Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Fragile Inheritance Natural History - https://fragileinheritance.ca/
FI Newsletter -
https://clt1233162.benchmarkurl.com/c/v?e=15E5037&c=12D10A&t=0&l=53EF5F06
Database fund-raiser -
https://clt1233162.bmeurl.co/F0DE970?utm_source=BenchmarkEmail&utm_campaign=January_-_February_2023
2022 annual letter: https://clt1233162.bmeurl.co/EFE49F7
6 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156° N 75.70095° W
(613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca>

Harry Baker

Apr 20, 2023, 5:54:33 PM4/20/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
I saw geese in the quarry last Sunday!

Harry

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 20, 2023, at 5:28 PM, Frederick W. Schueler <bck...@istar.ca> wrote:

Candice Vetter

Apr 21, 2023, 9:55:58 AM4/21/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com, natur...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

The geese are still sitting on fields and in river, but generally not on the lake, which is particularly weird that they're not gathering there at night like usual.

Harry, were there very many? And were they in the centre of the lake?

We are speculating at this point.

---
Candice

Harry Baker

Apr 21, 2023, 9:59:25 AM4/21/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Maybe a couple of dozen in the middle!  I couldn’t see the whole lake.

Harry

Sent from my iPhone

Aleta Karstad

Apr 21, 2023, 10:19:33 AM4/21/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Someone better go get a water sample asap. This is the headwater of a number of creeks, isn’t it?

A.

Aleta Karstad
Bishops Mills, Ontario
——————————————-

Candice Vetter

Apr 21, 2023, 10:53:35 AM4/21/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com

The watercourses start above the lake and flow in more than one direction (from top of hill all around). The lake itself only has an outlet to a major drain during spring melt. I believe someone went to get a sample yesterday. I'll sample this weekend. What do we do with samples afterward ? What could/would we be looking for?

---
Candice

Aleta Karstad

Apr 22, 2023, 8:44:31 AM4/22/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
On Apr 21, 2023, at 10:53 AM, Candice Vetter <cve...@xplornet.com> wrote:

The watercourses start above the lake and flow in more than one direction (from top of hill all around). The lake itself only has an outlet to a major drain during spring melt. I believe someone went to get a sample yesterday. I'll sample this weekend. What do we do with samples afterward ? What could/would we be looking for?

Put them in the fridge until we enquire/find out where to send them for analysis. A comprehensive analysis is likely to cost something. Too bad the City of Ottawa funding was withdrawn when it was not all spent :-/

A.