pipe & zalb!

1 view

Frederick W. Schueler

May 1, 2024, 10:01:06 AMMay 1
to Eastern Ontario Natural History listserve
Everyone,

These are my codes for Towhees (Pipilo erythrophthalmus) and Whitethroat
Sparrows (Zonotrichia albicollis). While doing the streets just now the
air was dense with the Towhees' twee calls and the Whitethroats'
sweet-Canada songs, along with shouting matches among Robins, and the
first House Wrens of the year.

The Towhees & Whitethroats are new here, in the past decade or so,
following brushy secondary succession - last year was the first time the
house & yard was part of a Towhee territory, and we heard their
drink-your-tea song from the yard.

fred.
Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Fragile Inheritance Natural History - https://fragileinheritance.ca/
FI Newsletter -
https://clt1233162.benchmarkurl.com/c/v?e=15E5037&c=12D10A&t=0&l=53EF5F06
2022 annual letter: https://clt1233162.bmeurl.co/EFE49F7
6 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156° N 75.70095° W
(613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca>

Matt Keevil

May 2, 2024, 12:26:35 PMMay 2
to natur...@googlegroups.com
I looked through our (Amanda and I) iNat observations and 2019 is the first year observed and it happens that we documented a nest https://inaturalist.ca/observations/25534710 There seem to be many territories around our house but, as I mentioned in person there were none here until the last few years.

Matt

Bev Wigney

May 2, 2024, 2:54:54 PMMay 2
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Fred and all,
Eastern Towhees have very few records from the Annapolis Valley here in Nova Scotia, but I would say that White-throated Sparrows are unusually numerous this spring.  I was just checking the BirdWeather PUC a few minutes ago and WT Sparrows are the third most frequent detections in the past 24 hours (576).  Song Sparrows are first and Cardinals are second. For anyone curious about what is showing up here - near Annapolis Royal -  so far this spring, here's a link to my BirdWeather PUC station.
https://app.birdweather.com/stations/4036

bev

rmb...@istar.ca

May 2, 2024, 4:10:35 PMMay 2
to natur...@googlegroups.com

We've always had towhees and white throated sparrows here, but just
try to get a photo. I managed last week at Depot Creek during trail
maintenance, had a towhee land on the branches of a fallen tree along
the trail and it sat there a while and was very cooperative. Usually
they're scampering through the brush and branches and you can't get a
bead on them.

Rose-Marie
0110towhee.jpg

V. Kirkwood

May 4, 2024, 10:45:24 AMMay 4
to natur...@googlegroups.com

The White-throated Sparrows were here last weekend, and this morning, I heard the first Towhee. It was calling 'tea', but not asking me to drink any of it yet.  Maybe it hadn't had its morning cuppa yet.

The Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers have been very active, and are not particularly shy. I have one (or more) that use s my metal yard gate as a sounding place. There were several aerial battles yesterday, interspersed with bouts of tapping.

Valerie Kirkwood

Acton's Corners

---
Visit my fine art photography page at http://valerie-kirkwood.fineartamerica.com/

V. Kirkwood

May 4, 2024, 10:47:35 AMMay 4
to natur...@googlegroups.com

This year, the Spring Peeper chorus is one of the loudest that I can remember. It is wonderful!

Also, I heard several Grey Tree Frogs Friday afternoon as the temperature reached a balmy high of 18C.

rmb...@istar.ca

May 4, 2024, 12:01:27 PMMay 4
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Quoting "'V. Kirkwood' via NatureList" <natur...@googlegroups.com>:

> This year, the Spring Peeper chorus is one of the loudest that I can
> remember. It is wonderful!

I've been thinking the same here. The early part of the frog-calling
season was rather disjointed, bouts of warm and freezing cold, getting
interrupted and the species schedule out of sinc (e.g. peepers and
chorus BEFORE wood frogs).

I'm looking forward to the bullfrogs.

Rose-Marie