frosty Knotweed

Frederick W. Schueler

May 18, 2023, 8:15:43 PM5/18/23
to Eastern Ontario Natural History listserve
Everyone,

We didn't get up at dawn to survey last night's forecast -2°C, but today
the Japanese Knotweed which we'd let to grow up to 2 m, because of
busyness, had all their leaves wilted by the frost, with the top 25 cm
bent down from the tops on most stems. When things warm up, it will be
interesting to see how they re-sprout: from the present stems or from
the ground.

On our Black Locust trees, the new leaves within 3 m of the ground were
frosted on a short tree sprouting from a felled stump. There was no sign
of frost on the adjacent big tree, which doesn't have any leaves this
low. Saplings on the ash heaps had frosted leaves to a height of 4m.

Some Virginia Creeper vines up into the saplings on the ash heaps had
frosted leaves, and a 45 cm Black Walnut seedling had its leaves mostly
killed by frost.

Tonight there's another threat of frost, so we'll see what happens.

fred.
Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Fragile Inheritance Natural History - https://fragileinheritance.ca/
FI Newsletter -
https://clt1233162.benchmarkurl.com/c/v?e=15E5037&c=12D10A&t=0&l=53EF5F06
2022 annual letter: https://clt1233162.bmeurl.co/EFE49F7
6 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156° N 75.70095° W
(613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca>