onset of frog calling

Fred Schueler

Apr 4, 2023, 9:38:38 PM4/4/23
to Eastern Ontario Natural History listserve
Everyone,

At the most melted swamp along Bolton Road this afternoon I heard one
Chorus Frog griiick as I drove past, and then two more calls when a
couple of vehicles passed me as I was parked listening. It was nice to
have the idea that the sound of passing vehicles stimulates calling
confirmed in the first calling heard this season.

I was checking out all the nearby breeding ponds, and the Wood Frog
ponds were all solidly covered with snow & ice.

fred.
Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Fragile Inheritance Natural History - https://fragileinheritance.ca/
FI Newsletter -
https://clt1233162.benchmarkurl.com/c/v?e=15E5037&c=12D10A&t=0&l=53EF5F06
Database fund-raiser -
https://clt1233162.bmeurl.co/F0DE970?utm_source=BenchmarkEmail&utm_campaign=January_-_February_2023
2022 annual letter: https://clt1233162.bmeurl.co/EFE49F7
6 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156° N 75.70095° W
(613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca>

rmb...@istar.ca

Apr 4, 2023, 11:17:26 PM4/4/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Coming back from town today I had George stop at our laneway pond and
turn the engine off so I could listen. Did my best to do a chorus
frog trill a few times but was only answered by silence. I may be
putting my poncho and boots on tomorrow after some of the rain and
take a walk up there. The rain and warm temps will no doubt fire
things up.

On the way back from town I saw coltsfoot in bloom in the roadside
ditch at the rock cut on the north edge of Loughborough Lake/Perth Rd.
Also when we stopped at the laneway pond there were 3 or 4 blooms.
We heard/saw a red shouldered hawk flying across the field on the
laneway.

FINALLY it's feeling like spring. Just for fun, since I saw a moth
flying about last night when I took the Kerrie Beast out for her
nightly pee walk, I dusted off the blacklight and set it up at the
window. 3 little brown moths were on the wall but up where I couldn't
get a bead on them with the camera.

Rose-Marie
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/naturelist/878782e9-719e-a3cc-c59d-862fc10859a6%40istar.ca.

Stewart Hamill

Apr 5, 2023, 6:28:58 AM4/5/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
I heard one Chorus Frog on March 24, but that was it: 1 frog, 1 call,
nothing since.

Stew

Dean Gugler

Apr 5, 2023, 8:55:47 AM4/5/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Spring Peepers on April 1; Chorus Frogs on April 2 added ; Wood Frogs added April 3; Spring Peepers all night on 4-5th!

Tana McDaniel

Apr 5, 2023, 4:23:45 PM4/5/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
It probably comes as no surprise to everyone that the chorus frogs have been calling in the Niagara Peninsula since March 24th. That was also the first day we spotted road killed eastern spotted newts and one Ambystoma complex (far too flat to ID). We still had a snow fall after that date.