Black rat snakes are out.

rmb...@istar.ca

May 7, 2024, 4:08:53 PMMay 7
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Black...gray...whichever. At any rate I've been down raking pine
cones and needles and there was one big chonky boy (girl?) getting in
my way, had to move it aside and it took off up over the hillside.
Went back over by the pine tree and there was a red squirrel chirping
and squeaking, so I went to take a look. Another rat snake about 3/4
the size of the first one was on the side of the tree, probably after
the 2 young squirrels that were on the other pine tree 3 feet away.
Mama squirrel would have none of that and kept circling the tree and
nipping at the snake.

Oh yes, this is why whenever I go out now I carry my camera in a
little basket. I got photos and video of the battle. Eventually the
squirrel took right hold of the snake's tail, snake whipped around,
lost its grip, down it went.

Had to come for my water bottle, I shall download this evening and
send some pics.

Rose-Marie

rmb...@istar.ca

May 7, 2024, 4:09:09 PMMay 7
to natur...@googlegroups.com

Karen Brown

May 7, 2024, 4:34:55 PMMay 7
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Ours have been out since the middle of April…
IMG_6400.jpeg