Body Parts

V. Kirkwood

Apr 10, 2023, 10:11:58 AM4/10/23
to naturelist

Over the past ten days or so, a critter has been caching excess body parts in the manure pile outside the barn, and, today, in the sand of the barn aisle. I suspect the critter doing the caching is a fox, because I often see fox tracks in the snow, and because of the skunky scent marking in the vicinity. (I also have skunks, but that's another story.)

My dogs have done all of the finding. I know they're not doing the killing, because they are on tie-outs at the barn when I'm out there, and the rest of the time they are in the  house with me.

The first find was a white rabbit or hare hind leg, a fresh kill. The second was a dark grey coloured goose foot, also a fresh kill. Today's was, I think, a raccoon, or possibly a fisher. There wasn't much left but the head and a front leg. The fur was almost gone -- mange, I think. I guess that it was scavenged, because it was already a bit smelly. I did not see any huge fangs. It had small, round ears, and a nose that protruded well beyond its front teeth.

All of this before my breakfast, every time.

Valerie Kirkwood

Acton's Corners

--
Visit my fine art photography page at http://valerie-kirkwood.fineartamerica.com/

Frederick W. Schueler

Apr 10, 2023, 10:24:59 AM4/10/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
On 10-Apr-23 10:11 a.m., V. Kirkwood wrote:
> Over the past ten days or so, a critter has been caching excess body
> parts in the manure pile outside the barn, and, today, in the sand of
> the barn aisle. I suspect the critter doing the caching is a fox.

* when we had Foxes breeding across the street, the woods were littered
with scattered remains - mostly a great variety of Chickens, which they
must have brought in from quite remote flocks.

fred.

> because I often see fox tracks in the snow, and because of the skunky
> scent marking in the vicinity. (I also have skunks, but that's another
> story.)
>
> My dogs have done all of the finding. I know they're not doing the
> killing, because they are on tie-outs at the barn when I'm out there,
> and the rest of the time they are in the  house with me.
>
> The first find was a white rabbit or hare hind leg, a fresh kill. The
> second was a dark grey coloured goose foot, also a fresh kill. Today's
> was, I think, a raccoon, or possibly a fisher. There wasn't much left
> but the head and a front leg. The fur was almost gone -- mange, I think.
> I guess that it was scavenged, because it was already a bit smelly. I
> did not see any huge fangs. It had small, round ears, and a nose that
> protruded well beyond its front teeth.
>
> All of this before my breakfast, every time.
>
> Valerie Kirkwood
>
> Acton's Corners
>
> --
>
> Visit my fine art photography page at
> http://valerie-kirkwood.fineartamerica.com/
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/naturelist/1f72803c2a8460f33edfc6abb5272ebf%40xplornet.ca <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/naturelist/1f72803c2a8460f33edfc6abb5272ebf%40xplornet.ca?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Fragile Inheritance Natural History - https://fragileinheritance.ca/
FI Newsletter -
https://clt1233162.benchmarkurl.com/c/v?e=15E5037&c=12D10A&t=0&l=53EF5F06
Database fund-raiser -
https://clt1233162.bmeurl.co/F0DE970?utm_source=BenchmarkEmail&utm_campaign=January_-_February_2023
2022 annual letter: https://clt1233162.bmeurl.co/EFE49F7
6 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156° N 75.70095° W
(613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca>

I Macaulay

Apr 10, 2023, 11:09:37 AM4/10/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like you want a deer camera or similar.  I have been playing with WIFI cams for a while now.
Raspberry Pi zero W with a Cam and Motioneyeos load is cheap and simple, Great for birds too but the Focus is tricky at short distances.

Senility has been a smooth transition for me.

Note New Hours

Ian Macaulay   Carp, Ontario
Open at 11:AM   Close at 5:00 PM
45.2397 N long: 76.0991 W Elv 137 M UTM