tick-borne interview

Frederick W. Schueler

Jul 23, 2024, 8:01:01 AM (2 days ago) Jul 23
to Eastern Ontario Natural History listserve
Everyone,

Alta has just finished an interview with the Current about Anaplasmosis
-
https://ngtimes.ca/anaplasmosis-its-here-and-more-dangerous-than-lyme-disease/
- which will be broadcast in an hour when the Eastern Time rolls around.

fred.
---------Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad ------------ Fragile
Inheritance Natural History - https://fragileinheritance.ca/ FI
Newsletter -
https://clt1233162.benchmarkurl.com/c/v?e=15E5037&c=12D10A&t=0&l=53EF5F06
2022 annual letter: https://clt1233162.bmeurl.co/EFE49F7 6 St-Lawrence
Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0 on the Smiths
Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156° N 75.70095° W

rmb...@istar.ca

Jul 23, 2024, 9:11:46 AM (2 days ago) Jul 23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Just caught it in progress. Scary stuff for those of us living in the
boonies and picking off ticks when working outdoors. Something I've
found to be very effective at warding them off is geranium spray. Put
a few drops of geranium essential oil in a few ounces of water in a
spray bottle and spray on liberally. For a few minutes you smell like
a big geranium but that's better than the acrid smell of some of the
commercial sprays.

Catnip is also said to held ward them off, spraying catnip tea around
the yard is supposed to keep them at bay. I bought 3 packages of
seeds but have yet to plant them, they would go into big pots since I
have warnings of how the plants can spread far and wide. I have
enough to deal with chopping off those idiot dog-strangling
(swallowwort) vines. The heat is not helping on that score, I see a
lot of them going to seed and need to get to harvesting while they're
still green.

I'm having 9 windows replaced, that also keeps me indoors. My old
German shepherd raises a fuss so I've had to sit in here with her to
keep her quiet, no place else to put her, so I am caged up with her.
Keeps us both away from ticks.

Rose-Marie

V. Kirkwood

Jul 23, 2024, 9:26:53 AM (2 days ago) Jul 23
to natur...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Fred and Aleta,

I heard the broadcast. Aleta, thank you for stepping forward with the information about your experience. I hope that it will help people to be more aware of the dangers of anaplasmosis, so that they can speak to their doctor about it if tick infection is a possibility. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Regards,

Valerie

---
Visit my fine art photography page at http://valerie-kirkwood.fineartamerica.com/