Snipe, Chorus Frogs

V. Kirkwood

Apr 9, 2023, 9:43:48 AM4/9/23
to naturelist

I heard a Snipe winnowing in the pre-dawn today (April 9), Such a gentle sound.

Two hours later, as the sun started to melt the frost off the grass although the air temperature was still below freezing, a few Chorus Frogs started to call in my duck pond. The calls were slow, each note separate, rather than the running upward blur that I hope to hear later today.

Valerie Kirkwood

Acton's Corners

--
Visit my fine art photography page at http://valerie-kirkwood.fineartamerica.com/

rmb...@istar.ca

Apr 9, 2023, 11:17:53 AM4/9/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com

I headed out the laneway to cut some firewood at about 9:30 a.m.,
stopped at the pond, not a sound. Just came back, stopped again,
there were a lot of peeps but no trills. Last night when I took the
dog out at 10:30 p.m. there were 2 half hearted peeps from over the
hill. I' sure tonight there will be a chorus.

Yesterday I saw my first mourning cloak butterfly, and today it looks
like the loon is back. He's a way down the lake, later today if the
bird comes closer I'll be able to confirm that.

Rose-Marie
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/naturelist/d1ea09bbf801a0b784d52e5776128a28%40xplornet.ca.

Fred Schueler

Apr 9, 2023, 1:22:45 PM4/9/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
On 4/9/2023 9:43 AM, V. Kirkwood wrote:
> as the sun started to melt the frost off the grass although the air
> temperature was still below freezing, a few Chorus Frogs started to call
> in my duck pond. The calls were slow, each note separate, rather than
> the running upward blur that I hope to hear later today. - Acton's Corners

* coming back from the Athens area this noon, we heard Chorus Frogs
along the Temperance Lake Road, and along the CoRd28 near New Dublin -
but none north of there.

fred.
Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Fragile Inheritance Natural History - https://fragileinheritance.ca/
FI Newsletter -
https://clt1233162.benchmarkurl.com/c/v?e=15E5037&c=12D10A&t=0&l=53EF5F06
Database fund-raiser -
https://clt1233162.bmeurl.co/F0DE970?utm_source=BenchmarkEmail&utm_campaign=January_-_February_2023
2022 annual letter: https://clt1233162.bmeurl.co/EFE49F7
6 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156° N 75.70095° W
(613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca>