A new mystery to explore.

rmb...@istar.ca

Jul 12, 2024, 11:33:55 PM (12 days ago) Jul 12
to natur...@googlegroups.com
One of my moths that I posted to iNaturalist has been identified by
someone as an Epuauletted Pitcher Plant Moth, Exyra fax. If the i.d.
is correct and the host plant is Pitcher Plant, I am now interested in
finding those plants. I know of none nearby, but my first area of
exploration will be the boggy area behind the little "frog pond" that
has a lot of peat moss. It also has a lot of snaggly bushes and is a
challenging place to wade into, lumps and snags with every step you
don't know how deep your foot will sink into. A few years ago I had
some Four-toed Salamanders that nest in peat moss, so I was wanting to
explore in there. I will need some decent weather, I really hate the
hot and humid that makes me perspire and feel dizzy. I was also
wanting to see if there were sundews in there.

My next target will be a swampy area behind a little bay on the east
side of the lake. Years ago when I poked around in there I found the
orchid Rattlesnake Plantain, so that's another area I want to explore.
It is possible that Pitcher Plants may also be growing in there.
This area too is a challenging place to get into.

So ye Forces of Weather, give me some dry cooler sunny days, for there
are neat things to be discovered!

Rose-Marie

7471moth.jpg

Bev Wigney

Jul 13, 2024, 10:07:02 AM (12 days ago) Jul 13
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Rose-Marie and all,

If you do find some Pitcher Plants on your property, check for the moth's larvae.  In "Owlet Caterpillars of Eastern North America" (Wagner, Schweitzer, Sullivan and Reardon, 2011, pg 220), it states about Exyra fax:
The female lays her eggs in the inside of the pitcher near the water line.  The caterpillar grazes the inner surface of the blade and leaves the outer epidermis largely intact; a hole is chewed into the lower side of the blade that drains the pitcher.  The entrance of the pitcher is sealed off by the larvae, either by silking the edges together or spinning a silken sheet across the mouth of the pitcher; in so doing many potential enemies are excluded.  Middle instars overwinter within the sealed pitchers.  In the spring, the caterpillar completes its development or moves to a second pitcher plant if its host leaf begins to senesce.  The characteristic drainage and copious feculae left inside in the pitchers can be used to quickly assess whether Exyra larvae are present in a given locality.

bev
formerly in Osgoode Twsp
now in Annapolis county, NS

rmb...@istar.ca

Jul 13, 2024, 11:37:30 AM (12 days ago) Jul 13
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Okay, now you've got me chompin' at the bit to look for pitcher
plants, but it is brutally hot today and the deerflies are out in
swarms. I spent about 40 minutes cleaning up my little beach while it
was in the shade and phew, that was enough. I just can't tolerate
this kind of heat and humidity.

I've googled up some info about this moth and I've seen photos of what
you describe. It would be really neat if I can find the plants! The
good news is that the plants aren't running off anywhere and if there
are larvae they'll be staying put as well. Now I just have to be
patient, and when there's something really neat potentially to be
found the patience can run in low supply. I'm just wondering how far
these adult moths travel? I'm thinking not that far.

Rose-Marie
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/naturelist/CAD_MH0PttRpA%2BGg%2Bh2B7rBX7Kbvj%2Be%3DowVhbZ%2BUsusJ%2BEmc%3DLw%40mail.gmail.com.

V. Kirkwood

Jul 14, 2024, 10:06:38 AM (11 days ago) Jul 14
to natur...@googlegroups.com

Fascinating! Thank you, Bev.

Valerie

---