Re: debunking mycorrhizal networks

Frederick W. Schueler

May 7, 2024, 11:31:09 AMMay 7
to Eastern Ontario Natural History listserve
On 07-May-24 11:00 a.m., Simon English wrote:

> This week we are excited to be joined by Dr. Justine Karstto discuss
> "*Positive citation bias and overinterpreted results lead to
> misinformation on common mycorrhizal networks in forests*". The authors
> present overinterpreted and unsubstantiated conclusions about the form
> and function of mycorrhizal networks in the scientific literature and
> popular media. The authors outline what we can and cannot learn from
> field studies of mycorrhizal networks, then underline a need for better
> science communication and citation practices.
>
> This week’s files are in the drive folder
> <https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1v8SEfOKH89fhip7Xdzu7rfiiputEwe3L?usp=sharing>.

ABSTRACT: A common mycorrhizal network (CMN) is formed when mycorrhizal
fungal hyphae connect the roots of multiple plants of the same or
different species below ground. Recently, CMNs have captured the
interest of broad audiences, especially with respect to forest function
and management. We are concerned, however, that recent claims in the
popular media about CMNs in forests are disconnected from evidence, and
that bias towards citing positive effects of CMNs has developed in the
scientific literature. We first evaluated the evidence supporting three
common claims. The claims that CMNs are widespread in forests and that
resources are transferred through CMNs to increase seedling performance
are insufficiently supported because results from field studies vary too
widely, have alternative explanations or are too limited to support
generalizations. The claim that mature trees preferentially send
resources and defence signals to offspring through CMNs has no
peer-reviewed, published evidence. We next examined how the results from
CMN research are cited and found that unsupported claims have doubled in
the past 25 years; a bias towards citing positive effects may obscure
our understanding of the structure and function of CMNs in forests. We
conclude that knowledge on CMNs is presently too sparse and unsettled to
inform forest management.

> *Join the meeting in-person or remotely:*
> Time: every*Friday at 12:30 EST*
> *3^rd  floor Nesbitt, room 336*
> Or join by theMeeting link here
> <https://ubc.zoom.us/j/65442076271?pwd=b2w1WVU0aTBuUTkzRVpUeVZ2RTYvUT09>; meeting ID: 654 4207 6271

Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Fragile Inheritance Natural History - https://fragileinheritance.ca/
FI Newsletter -
https://clt1233162.benchmarkurl.com/c/v?e=15E5037&c=12D10A&t=0&l=53EF5F06
2022 annual letter: https://clt1233162.bmeurl.co/EFE49F7
6 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156° N 75.70095° W
(613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca>

Matt Keevil

May 7, 2024, 1:09:27 PMMay 7
to natur...@googlegroups.com
 I've been following Justine Karst for a while so I am pretty excited for this one, hopefully I can make it in!