Run over by a slug.

rmb...@istar.ca

May 5, 2023, 12:19:01 PM5/5/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
I downloaded some photos that I had taken of the woodcock on its nest,
and literally burst out laughing when I viewed them close up. This
woodcock is so tenaciously sitting still that a slug is crawling up
her beak. I'm attaching a pic with a closeup in case Fred is
interested in the slug. I'll have to take a walk up the hill later to
see if she's still there, most likely hatched out her chicks by now.
I got the pics and skedaddled and then stayed away so as not to disturb.

Rose-Marie
3224woodcock72.jpg
3224woodcockCROP72.jpg

I Macaulay

May 5, 2023, 12:42:55 PM5/5/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Was it skip the dishes?   I have never been able to get close enough to the bird to even see it let alone get a photo.

We had a Snipe family here a while back and if I was patient enough I could watch them running along an old beaver trail, but never found the nest site.  Have not heard that winnowing for a few years now, but as a compensation we do get Whippoorwills, a recent addition to our woods.

Ian

Senility has been a smooth transition for me.

Note New Hours

Ian Macaulay   Carp, Ontario
Open at 11:AM   Close at 5:00 PM
45.2397 N long: 76.0991 W Elv 137 M UTM
    Don't Forget to Save the Stamps

Stewart Hamill

May 5, 2023, 12:54:35 PM5/5/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Rose-Marie. I was wondering about progress of this nest and was
going to ask you.

Stew

rmb...@istar.ca

May 5, 2023, 1:21:42 PM5/5/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
I think I had posted my finding of the nest, it was when I was dumping
branches onto a pile and a bird flew out. Later in the day I checked
and she was on the nest. These photos are taken with a 300 mm lens
zoomed in, so I was not close enough to see the slug with my eyes, I
just clicked a bunch of photos and got out of there.

Rose-Marie

Quoting 'I Macaulay' via NatureList <natur...@googlegroups.com>:

> Was it skip the dishes?   I have never been able to get close enough
> to the bird to even see it let alone get a photo.
> We had a Snipe family here a while back and if I was patient enough
> I could watch them running along an old beaver trail, but never
> found the nest site.  Have not heard that winnowing for a few years
> now, but as a compensation we do get Whippoorwills, a recent
> addition to our woods.
>
> Ian
>
> Senility has been a smooth transition for me.
> Note New Hours
>
> Ian Macaulay   Carp, Ontario
> Open at 11:AM   Close at 5:00 PM45.2397 N long: 76.0991 W Elv 137 M UTM
>     Don't Forget to Save the Stamps
>
> On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 12:19:02 PM EDT, rmb...@istar.ca
> <rmb...@istar.ca> wrote:
>
> I downloaded some photos that I had taken of the woodcock on its nest,
> and literally burst out laughing when I viewed them close up.  This
> woodcock is so tenaciously sitting still that a slug is crawling up
> her beak.  I'm attaching a pic with a closeup in case Fred is
> interested in the slug.  I'll have to take a walk up the hill later to
> see if she's still there, most likely hatched out her chicks by now.
> I got the pics and skedaddled and then stayed away so as not to disturb.
>
> Rose-Marie
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/naturelist/20230505121857.46826shjscr3fiwh%40webmail.ca.inter.net.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/naturelist/1439580529.4667228.1683304971347%40mail.yahoo.com.

Frederick W. Schueler

May 5, 2023, 4:51:29 PM5/5/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
On 05-May-23 12:18 p.m., rmb...@istar.ca wrote:
> I downloaded some photos that I had taken of the woodcock on its nest,
> and literally burst out laughing when I viewed them close up.  This
> woodcock is so tenaciously sitting still that a slug is crawling up her
> beak.  I'm attaching a pic with a closeup in case Fred is interested in
> the slug.

* Aleta confirms that the slug is Arion subfuscus. It would be a
Darwinian sort of dispersal if the Woodcock flew away with the slug
still on her bill.

fred.
Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Fragile Inheritance Natural History - https://fragileinheritance.ca/
FI Newsletter -
https://clt1233162.benchmarkurl.com/c/v?e=15E5037&c=12D10A&t=0&l=53EF5F06
Database fund-raiser -
https://clt1233162.bmeurl.co/F0DE970?utm_source=BenchmarkEmail&utm_campaign=January_-_February_2023
2022 annual letter: https://clt1233162.bmeurl.co/EFE49F7
6 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156° N 75.70095° W
(613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca>