frog calling status

Frederick W. Schueler

Apr 10, 2023, 10:45:38 PM4/10/23
to Eastern Ontario Natural History listserve
Everyone,

We had familial and metabolic constraints today, and couldn't do a full
night's survey, so we just listened at some sites between Kemptville and
Bishops. Chorus Frogs were at the expected sites, and in expected
numbers, with Wood Frogs and Peepers either in big choruses or not yet
calling. Everything was dry, of course, and one Toad was seen on
Somerville Road but no Leopard Frogs anywhere.

It's going to be very interesting to see how the Leopard Frogs move and
how the choruses of all species assemble in the forecast dry warm week.

fred.
Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Fragile Inheritance Natural History - https://fragileinheritance.ca/
FI Newsletter -
https://clt1233162.benchmarkurl.com/c/v?e=15E5037&c=12D10A&t=0&l=53EF5F06
Database fund-raiser -
https://clt1233162.bmeurl.co/F0DE970?utm_source=BenchmarkEmail&utm_campaign=January_-_February_2023
2022 annual letter: https://clt1233162.bmeurl.co/EFE49F7
6 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156° N 75.70095° W
(613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca>

P Auritus

Apr 10, 2023, 10:53:37 PM4/10/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Here in the Niagara region, not only are chorus frogs and peepers very active, but leopard frogs were also heard calling, and I think I heard some toads calling.

rmb...@istar.ca

Apr 10, 2023, 11:04:28 PM4/10/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
There's a whole loud chorus of peeps coming from the frog pond and
over the hill from the laneway pond.

Since it's to be above freezing tonight I set up the blacklight at the
window by the balcony, and there are a surprising amount of moths out
there. So far using iNaturalist I have Gray Quaker, Major Sallow,
Grote's sallow, and Genus Phigalia and Agonopterix. There are a
couple more I'll download and check on tomorrow. Supposed to be
warmer nights coming up the next few days, everything's springing into
action.

Rose-Marie

jc...@ripnet.com

Apr 11, 2023, 7:17:42 AM4/11/23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Wood frogs were calling from my pond at 2pm on Sunday.
Yesterday when I was walking down the lane to check the mail many small leopard frogs were leaping into the creek.

Joyce