Help please

I Macaulay

May 23, 2024, 10:59:22 AMMay 23
to Eastern Ontario Natural History Listserve
I have a tree full of these tiny bugs abt 4mm in length.
Can someone please tell me what they are.

Inline image
Inline image

Senility has been a smooth transition for me.

Note New Hours

Ian Macaulay   Carp, Ontario
Open at 11:AM   Close at 5:00 PM
45.2397 N long: 76.0991 W Elv 137 M UTM
    Don't Forget to Save the Stamps

Bev Wigney

May 23, 2024, 11:13:10 AMMay 23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
They are some species of Sawflies.   Although they look like caterpillars of some sort, Sawfly larvae just have 3 pairs of legs at the front end.  Often, if they are along a leaf edge, the whole batch of them with twitch and thrash their abdomens around in synch -- a coordinated action to scare away predators.  The species of Sawfly can often be identified based on what plant they are devouring.

bev

I Macaulay

May 23, 2024, 11:26:52 AMMay 23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Thank you,  Now I will have to try and find out the make of the tree that no longer has any leaves.

It Should be easy, its a common tree.

Senility has been a smooth transition for me.

Note New Hours

Ian Macaulay   Carp, Ontario
Open at 11:AM   Close at 5:00 PM
45.2397 N long: 76.0991 W Elv 137 M UTM
    Don't Forget to Save the Stamps

Owen Clarkin

May 23, 2024, 11:39:43 AMMay 23
to natur...@googlegroups.com

Bev Wigney

May 23, 2024, 12:37:33 PMMay 23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Having seen the page about the Viburnum Leaf Beetle posted by Owen, yes, it does look like that could be the larvae.  While it does look like a typical Sawfly (conspicuous pairs of legs and often a dark head capsule), beetle larvae can also look similar.  Sounds like these are a fairly recent invasive insect (yes, another one - just what we need).

bev

I Macaulay

May 23, 2024, 6:01:23 PMMay 23
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Confirmed,  The virburnum leaf beetle is the culprit,  The tree is a snowball but as is now leafless It would be hard to tell.  Thank you Bev and Owen.

I think the tree is toast,  That is a scientific term for Not Vi, Burned Um.

Ian