"5-year-olds can learn calculus" interview at The Atlantic

Maria Droujkova

Mar 3, 2014, 3:45:59 PM3/3/14
to natur...@googlegroups.com
I hope this article starts some good conversations: http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/03/5-year-olds-can-learn-calculus/284124/

Cheers,
Dr. Maria Droujkova

Steve Thomas

Mar 3, 2014, 11:28:36 PM3/3/14
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations, Good article and judging from the comments a lot of conversations have started. Predictably some are the same in the past, new math comparisons, need to memorize facts, teacher bashing, teacher defending, etc.

So I will ask the questions I heard Michael Starbird (The 5 Elements of Effective Thinking Edward B. Burger & Michael Starbird) ask in an online video:

  • What do you want your students to get from your class, that they are going to use after 20 years?
  • What in your class is going to make a difference?
  • What specific differences do you expect to be made because of your class?
  • What kind of experiences would you want to happen in your class that would cause those changes?
So when comparing the methods and ideas discussed in this article with what one would think of as "traditional" math teaching (ie: calculation), which would you prefer your child get out of a class:

a) how to calculate by applying a set of facts and rules to a given problem with only one correct answer.

b) exposure to powerful ideas at an early age with accessible problems (ie: not the calculus in the form taught in High School or College) allowing them to explore those ideas through hands-on, grounded metaphoric play. Communicating with their peers an the teacher about those ideas.

That said yes I do believe kids should be able to quickly do basic math in their heads. I find it very useful when shopping and thinking about how to spend and budget money, and also in doing basic reality checks of facts people throw at me at work and in current events. Yes I do have a "smart phone" but doing it in my head is quicker and easier (so I actually do it). Yet most of what kids need to "memorize" about calculating can be learned in 5-10 minutes a day. That frees up a lot of time to try the kinds of things Maria is suggesting and you can find at Moebius Noodles.  Which kids will enjoy more (thus learn more) and will better prepare them for life.

Cheers,

Mr. Steve

To some of us, writing computer programs is a fascinating game. A program is a building of thought. It is costless to build, weightless, growing easily under our typing hands. If we get carried away, its size and complexity will grow out of control, confusing even the one who created it. This is the main problem of programming. It is why so much of today's software tends to crash, fail, screw up.

When a program works, it is beautiful. The art of programming is the skill of controlling complexity. The great program is subdued, made simple in its complexity.

- Martin Harverbeke (from Eloquent JavaScript)