Math Cafe February 18th: join online or in Cary, NC

Maria Droujkova

Feb 15, 2014, 4:29:49 PM2/15/14
to natur...@googlegroups.com
I am experimenting with a new format of events, inspired by the good times we've had with Math Future webinars, and by face-to-face meetups called Science Cafes. Come join me February 18th at 6 pm EST, and share with friends and colleagues!

Event page: http://www.moebiusnoodles.com/mathcafe/ - go there during the time of the event if you participate online.

Twitter hashtag: #MathCafe

More details:

Math Cafe is an informal discussion with leaders in the fields of mathematics and mathematics education. You can meet these leaders face-to-face or online, ask questions, and chat with other participants. If you are in the Raleigh-Durham area, NC, join us for some tea on February 18th at 6 pm EST at Cafe Carolina on 137 Weston Parkway, Cary. Bring a device to participate in text chat. If you are elsewhere, grab a cup and a cookie and join us online.

ThinkingWithMultiplication

What is multiplication? Your children's experience with multiplication will depend on the answer (or several) you have to this question. It will also determine where you will look for examples of multiplication - multiplication tables, a mirror, your child’s drawings, a stroll around your neighborhood… And researchers suspect that early experiences with multiplication (or lack of them) largely determine the future success with all math and science. That's because multiplication is the cornerstone of algebra.

How will learning these critical concepts fit your and your children's day-to-day activities? And how will it help enrich your and your children's relationship with mathematics? We will discuss these and other questions in our upcoming Math Cafe.

Cheers,
Dr. Maria Droujkova

Mike South

Feb 18, 2014, 9:07:30 PM2/18/14
to natur...@googlegroups.com
The fractal hand creeps me out.

[Yes, that is my profound intellectual contribution]

mike

Maria Droujkova

Feb 19, 2014, 7:23:43 AM2/19/14
to natur...@googlegroups.com, Yelena McManaman, Kalid Azad

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Mike South <mso...@gmail.com> wrote:
The fractal hand creeps me out.

[Yes, that is my profound intellectual contribution]

mike

Mike,

We hear that A LOT - and not only about the hand, but about ANY fractal. I did a variation of this paper activity with kids last week - it's about RECTANGLES. The shape itself is not creepy or weird or exciting in any way. The idiom for the opposite of cool is "square." http://fractalfoundation.org/resources/fractivities/fractal-cutout/

Yet kids said "this is weird" or "this is creepy" too. They think fractal cows, "gentle cows," in the animated short "cows and cows and cows" are very creepy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FavUpD_IjVY

We are onto something here. With a fractal, the IDEA of infinity or infinitesimals becomes tangible so strongly and quickly, you get some of the "total perspective vortex" mood whiplash from it.

Cheers,
Dr. Maria Droujkova
moebiusnoodles.com
919-388-1721
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Steve Thomas

Feb 19, 2014, 7:31:53 AM2/19/14
to natur...@googlegroups.com, Yelena McManaman, Kalid Azad
Love the RECTANGLES activity!

The other powerful ideas within fractals are:

Self Similarity, iteration and how a simple set of instructions repeated over and over can lead to beautiful and amazing things!!!

Also the weirdness helps the concepts stick in the kids minds.  I think that's why they always seem to remember me;)

Cheers,
Stephen

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014, Maria Droujkova <drou...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Mike South <mso...@gmail.com> wrote:
The fractal hand creeps me out.

[Yes, that is my profound intellectual contribution]

mike

Mike,

We hear that A LOT - and not only about the hand, but about ANY fractal. I did a variation of this paper activity with kids last week - it's about RECTANGLES. The shape itself is not creepy or weird or exciting in any way. The idiom for the opposite of cool is "square." http://fractalfoundation.org/resources/fractivities/fractal-cutout/

Yet kids said "this is weird" or "this is creepy" too. They think fractal cows, "gentle cows," in the animated short "cows and cows and cows" are very creepy. cows & cows & cows

We are onto something here. With a fractal, the IDEA of infinity or infinitesimals becomes tangible so strongly and quickly, you get some of the "total perspective vortex" mood whiplash from it.

Cheers,
Dr. Maria Droujkova
moebiusnoodles.com
919-388-1721

To some of us, writing computer programs is a fascinating game. A program is a building of thought. It is costless to build, weightless, growing easily under our typing hands. If we get carried away, its size and complexity will grow out of control, confusing even the one who created it. This is the main problem of programming. It is why so much of today's software tends to crash, fail, screw up.

When a program works, it is beautiful. The art of programming is the skill of controlling complexity. The great program is subdued, made simple in its complexity.

- Martin Harverbeke (from Eloquent JavaScript)

Maria Droujkova

Feb 22, 2014, 12:16:27 PM2/22/14
to natur...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 7:31 AM, Steve Thomas <stho...@gosargon.com> wrote:
Love the RECTANGLES activity!

The other powerful ideas within fractals are:

Self Similarity, iteration and how a simple set of instructions repeated over and over can lead to beautiful and amazing things!!!

Stephen, the idea that easy iterations can lead to complexity appears again and again in nature. This is the mathematical essence of evolution.

Also the weirdness helps the concepts stick in the kids minds.  I think that's why they always seem to remember me;)

Lol, good pedagogical point! Remember Ms. Frizzle from The Magic Schoolbus?

Cheers,
Dr. Maria Droujkova