Playing With Math: crowdfunding at 49% after the first week!

Maria Droujkova

Jun 26, 2014, 7:50:58 AM6/26/14
to natur...@googlegroups.com
We at Natural Math are at it again: producing and publishing innovative, playful, Creative Commons book, crowdsourced and crowdfunded. Playing With Math is edited by our Sue VanHattum, with more than fifty people contributing stories, art, puzzles, and much math love. You can join the fun here:

One of my favorite part of a campaign is to read all the excited reviews from like-minded mathematics education enthusiasts. In this case, to name a few:

Here is a more detailed description from the crowdfunding page.

There's a problem:

Most people don't like math. Why is that? Perhaps it has something to do with the way it's taught in school. As a teacher, I've been searching for solutions for many years. This book is one part of the solution.

Some solutions:

Playing With Math: Stories from Math Circles, Homeschoolers, and Passionate Teachers has over 30 authors, who each tell their delightful stories of sharing their enthusiasm for math with others. It was lovingly compiled and edited by a teacher whose passion is to share the love of math with as many people as she can.

This 328-page book was 5 1/2 years in the making. It's ready to head to the printers now, and can soon be in your hands.

Whether you enjoy math and want materials that will help you share some math-love with your kids, or whether you fear and loathe math and need help getting over that hurdle so you won’t pass it on, Playing With Math will give you inspiration and lots of new ideas.

“Sue VanHattum has assembled a marvelously useful and inspiring book. It is filled with stories by people who don't just love math, they share that love with others through innovative math activities. Playing With Math is perfect for anyone eager to make math absorbing, entertaining, and fun.”

         --  Laura Grace Weldon, author of Free Range Learning

~~~
Please help us spread the word to your friends and colleagues!

https://www.incited.org/en/projects/4992-Playing-With-Math---the-Book

Cheers,
Dr. Maria Droujkova

Sue

Jul 18, 2014, 11:24:04 PM7/18/14
to natur...@googlegroups.com
We made our original goal ($7500) after 17 days. We decided on a stretch goal of $4000 more, so we can get a Spanish translation done quickly. (We're hoping to reach $11,500 total.) We are just over $10,500 right now, and still hoping to bring in that last $1000 in our final 24 hours.

Can you help? Please pass this message along to anyone who might enjoy this book - especially to Spanish-speakers.

https://www.incited.org/en/projects/4992-Playing-With-Math---the-Book

Warmly,
Sue

"This book is all about math, but the fundamental ideas underpinning it are applicable to learning in any subject, and for students of all ages. If looked at from this perspective, you can take away so much more, especially if you are interested in ideas about learning and education. I hope this book accomplishes all the goals the authors have for it, and more: to inspire people everywhere to see the beauty and joy inherent in math and in playing and puzzling with math ideas by starting their own groups, supplementing their child's education, or even taking their students'/children's whole math experience in a completely new direction."     - Holly Brown