Request for DNS over HTTPS API

ExpressVPN

Oct 2, 2019, 10:13:39 PM10/2/19
to Native-Client-Discuss

We’d like to request that Chrome implement an extension API to be able to get and set the following DNS over HTTPS related settings:

  • Enable/Disable DNS over HTTPS

  • Use custom DNS provider

We support the DNS over HTTPS initiative, however, we believe it would be better for users if they had the choice to use a service like ours end-to-end rather than having some of their private data sent off to a party with whom they haven't agreed to use.

If there's somewhere more appropriate we should make this request please let us know.

Thanks for your consideration.

—ExpressVPN

Derek Schuff

Oct 3, 2019, 11:57:49 AM10/3/19
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I'd guess that the best place for that request would be https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!forum/chromium-extensions
I think it would be unlikely that any new extension API would be exposed to NaCl via Pepper. However if there were a new JS API, it should be fairly straightforward to use it from a WebAssembly program by wrapping a C API around it or using Emscripten's EM_JS feature.