Native Client to support python

Hans Andersen

Feb 16, 2012, 3:45:20 PM2/16/12
to Native-Client-Discuss
I really would like to see native client supporting python.
I think python would be an obvious choice due to the easy leaning and
because python is already used in the project for some tools.

I know that python is not a binary language like C, C++ and C# but I
see a huge potential in the support for python.

Best regards Hans Andersen

Alan Wolfe

Feb 16, 2012, 5:19:06 PM2/16/12
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com
it might not be very difficult to get python compiling in the native client environment.

You might bring it up on the python mailing list (if there is one, i bet there is...) and see if you can foster any interest.

Off the top of my head there's no reason why it couldn't happen that I can see.

JoeCascio

Mar 17, 2012, 10:56:31 AM3/17/12
to Native-Client-Discuss
Ditto this! Would love to see python available in NaCl.

Braxton McKee

Mar 17, 2012, 12:10:03 PM3/17/12
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com
So I have a python interpreter running in NativeClient now under glibc, but my implementation is a little hairy since I'm not an expert in autotools (e.g. I know how to type ./configure and that's it).  I just copied the python source into my own source tree and let my internal build configuration take care of it.  Most of my headache has centered around trying to get everything running under glibc, since nacl-mounts appears to have some bugs using glibc.

I'd be very happy to collaborate with someone who's a little more familiar with the toolchain, since I'm sure there's a more elegant way to do it than what I did.
Braxton McKee                          Broad Street Analytics
www.twitter.com/braxtonmckee   www.broadstreetanalytics.com

yesimon

Apr 27, 2012, 2:39:15 PM4/27/12
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com
For those that are less talented, what steps did you take to compile the python using autotools?

On Feb 16, 6:19 pm, Alan Wolfe <alan.wo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> it might not be very difficult to get python compiling in the native client
> environment.
>
> You might bring it up on the python mailing list (if there is one, i bet
> there is...) and see if you can foster any interest.
>
> Off the top of my head there's no reason why it couldn't happen that I can
> see.
>

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Hans Andersen <h...@multiway.dk> wrote:
> > I really would like to see native client supporting python.
> > I think python would be an obvious choice due to the easy leaning and
> > because python is already used in the project for some tools.
>
> > I know that python is not a binary language like C, C++ and C# but I
> > see a huge potential in the support for python.
>
> > Best regards Hans Andersen

Braxton McKee

Apr 27, 2012, 2:59:12 PM4/27/12
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com
I didn't even try using autotools. I generated a separate makefile to compile the sources, and I had to hack on the guts of python to get it all to work, and make substantial modifications to naclmounts as well.  It's pretty ugly, but it works.

Separately, I was able to get llvm to compile (although not to run) using autotools, which was its own huge headache.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/native-client-discuss/-/39wNT7-rbQEJ.