"Remove support for PNaCl"

Peter Washington

Jan 3, 2018, 4:50:11 PM1/3/18
to Native-Client-Discuss
What exactly does it mean when you say you plan to "plan to remove support for PNaCl in Q1 2018"? Does this mean updated versions of Chrome won't even run a PNaCl app? Or does it simply mean that no one at Google will be actively working on the project, but old functionalities will remain?

For specialized research projects that rely on PNaCl (so not really "production" environments per se), will it be possible to ask users in user studies to only use a specific version of Chrome? This is significantly affecting a major research project at Stanford; any help would be much appreciated.

Bradley Nelson

Feb 23, 2018, 12:59:59 AM2/23/18
to Native-Client-Discuss
Hi Peter,

Once we remove PNaCl, this does mean PNaCl applications will cease to function.
We're delaying removal slightly due to the temporary removal of SharedArrayBuffer and related delays with WebAssembly threads, but do expect removal to go forward once there's a threads migration path turned on in Chrome.

I'd be curious to learn more about your use case, and if it would be amenable to WebAssembly, and will email you off thread.

-BradN

mi...@ubo.ro

May 9, 2018, 10:10:04 AM5/9/18
to Native-Client-Discuss
Hi Bradly,

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread but I wonder, is there any bug that we can follow or will there be a notification posted in advance before PNaCl is actually removed?

Mihai.

Nimbus Web

May 9, 2018, 2:02:08 PM5/9/18
to Native-Client-Discuss
And what about NaCL for the extensions? Will it be also removed?