PNaCl on open web now available only in origin trial

Derek Schuff

Jun 17, 2019, 7:43:08 PM6/17/19
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

We previously announced that we would be deprecating and removing PNaCl on the open web this year. Starting in Chrome 76, we've moved this functionality behind an origin trial, which is a mechanism for web developers to register and get access to a feature that isn't on by default. This is usually a new proposed feature but in this case it's a feature being deprecated. Essentially, a developer can register on the origin trial console and receive a token, which can be embedded into a page and will enable the feature without the user needing to use a flag. (For more details see the guide linked above). The trial is scheduled to last through Chrome 78, approximately until December 2019.

This change is not intended to affect NaCl or PNaCl in Chrome Apps or extensions, and the "enable-nacl" flag in chrome://flags can also be used to enable PNaCl locally for testing (this flag also retains its current function of enabling non-PNaCl "native" NaCl on any page).
Chrome 76 is currently in dev channel and is expected to enter beta soon. Please let us know if you discover any issues.

-Derek Schuff, Software Engineer on NaCl, PNaCl, and WebAssembly