Blue eyed, red haired Indian

seap...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2007, 11:38:58 AM6/4/07
to Native American
It really hurts when people don't believe that I am part Cherokee and
deny me of heritage just because I "look white." My brother and sister
took after my dad's side of the family (Cherokee & franch) and have
dark brown eyes and black hair while I came out with blue-green eyes
and strawberry blonde hair. Are there any other halfbreeds out there
who share my pain and frustration? If so please contact me so I don't
feel alone.

KJ Deal

Jun 4, 2007, 8:37:27 PM6/4/07
to Native-...@googlegroups.com
My grandmother was half cherokee, lucky me ended up with blonde hair and blue eyes so yes I know what you are going through.
--
Cherokee Grandmother
Basket Weaver

monkeygrudge

Jun 5, 2007, 6:03:08 AM6/5/07
to Native-...@googlegroups.com

i work with a guy who is 5'11", pale, with red hair and blue eyes. my daughter is "dark blonde" with blue eyes. me, i look the part, mostly...if i don't shave people think i'm mexican. all of us are part of the same tribe.

i can only relate how my coworker and daughter feel.

and i'll bet after you tell people your heritage and they first reply "no way!" their next question is "okay, how indian ARE you?"

i wish i had more steam; it's 3 am and i need some sleep...

amr,

dAVe

<--- JBLACKEAGLE --->

Jun 5, 2007, 10:36:33 AM6/5/07
to Native-...@googlegroups.com
Being Indian has nothing to do with the color of your hair or eyes..... and their is no such thing in our culture as being "part" or "half" Indian.  You either are... or you aren't.  Being part or half is what separates you and nothing else.

Emah-kit's-nu-aah... É-yewi-hanayawá-t...

Jade Blackeagle (Tipyélehne Tuposhín)
nimiipuu (Nez Percé)
Lapwai Reservation, Idaho

KJ Deal

Jun 5, 2007, 10:53:10 AM6/5/07
to Native-...@googlegroups.com
being native has nothing to do with hair or eye color. I have been told that it's what is in your heart and soul which makes you native.

Lincoln Henry

Jun 11, 2007, 12:15:23 PM6/11/07
to Native-...@googlegroups.com
as long as you know who you what does it matter? be proud of who & what u
are. its not ur choice to make them believe you.

what does ur email address stand for?

simple, and safer than ever and best of all - it's still free. Try it today!
www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA146

monkeygrudge

Jun 15, 2007, 3:35:45 AM6/15/07
to Native-...@googlegroups.com

On 6/11/07, Lincoln Henry <lincol...@hotmail.com> wrote:

as long as you know who you what does it matter?  be proud of who & what u
are.  its not ur choice to make them believe you.

what does ur email address stand for?

all of you/us are absolutely right: your strength needs to come from the knowledge of who you are, that it is nothing to be ashamed of or hidden. at the same time, it is tiring and hurtful when preconceptions and expectations come before acceptance.

my address story is boring: it comes from the book "shadows of forgotten ancestors" by carl sagan and his wife ann druyan. there was a study of chimps and how they interact with their surroundings, and it was shown they carried memories of an area where a particularly violent battle between their group and another. so, by my reasoning, monkeys can carry grudges. (i know, chimps, monkeys, apes are terms describing different things; i claim artistic license.)

anyone still awake?

amr,

dAVe

(no significance in the spelling--i haven't made up a good story yet, other than losing my virginity as the president of my school's a-v club...)

James Phillips

Jan 26, 2016, 12:19:14 AM1/26/16
to Native American, Native-...@googlegroups.com, jblac...@gmail.com
My Father was Native American and my mother was part Native American. I remember when I was a small child my great grandmother would speak to us in the Cherokee language. But I grew up as a red head with blue eyes. I have always had problems with anyone believing my heritage. But I know who I am and where I come from. I was told the stories of Mt family traveling the Trail of Tears. Just wished I would have learned more about my family.

Simply Ann

Apr 4, 2019, 10:20:45 AM4/4/19
to Native American
I am red headed with blue eyes.  I have always been told that I had a great great grandmother that was Cherokee.  I have also found some info about it on the internet.   My dad's Father had Cherokee in his line.  I can also follow our ancestors back to John Rolfe.  But I just recently learned that my Dads mother was half Indian.  He remembers Indian relatives coming to visit when he was little and he was afraid of them and would go hide.  But, he did not know what tribe they were from.  He lived in Oklahoma when he was little and is in his 80's now.  I searched for information about my Grandmother and the only info I come up with online is that she had one brother. Most of my cousins on that side of the family look like they have Indian in their DNA.  I have been tempted to have a DNA test done just to see what comes up.