Problem Type represented with Lonic codes

chandra mouli

Dec 14, 2019, 8:20:43 AM12/14/19
to National Health Care Survey Testing Tool
Hi Team

In the health care survey xml file, some to the "Problem type" are represented with Lonic code system. Do we really need to do this? or SnomedCT also accepted by certification boday?

<code code="75323-6" codeSystem="2.16.840.1.113883.6.1" codeSystemName="LOINC" displayName="Condition" />

Thanks
Mouli

Brian Gugerty

Jan 13, 2020, 8:56:49 AM1/13/20
to National Health Care Survey Testing Tool

Chandra Mouli,

 Sorry for the delay in this response.

1.      R1.2 uses C-CDA “Problem Observation (V2)” (from C-CDA R2)

a.      this version of the template changed the value set from SNOMED to LOINC (but kept the same OID)

2.      After we published R1.2 a new update to C-CDA was published (R2.1) and a new “Problem Observation (V3)” was published

a.      This version of the template changed the value set back to SNOMED, but then also stated that you SHALL have at least one translation that SHOULD be from the LOINC value set (with a different OID)

b.      This is the version of the template that is used in the NCHS releases after R1.2 (so NOT really relevant for your question)

3.      So basically it SHOULD be a LOINC code

4.      HOWEVER – we notice in the IG that in the example for “Problem/Diagnosis/Symptom/Condition Observation (V2)” it uses a SNOMED code

a.      The binding to the LOINC code value set is only a SHOULD so validation won’t error if a SNOMED code is used

5.      The short answer is that it SHOULD be LOINC, but validation won’t error if it isn’t and as long as the receiver understands the SNOMED code, it should be fine.

Regards,

Brian

Brian Gugerty DNS, RN

Senior Service Fellow

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS)

Division of Health Care Statistics (DHCS)

e-mail: va...@cdc.gov