Analysis of Donations declared by Regional Political Parties – FY 2020-21
report, prepared by Association for
Democratic Reforms (ADR) focuses on donations declared by Regional
Political Parties, during the Financial Year 2020-21, as submitted by the
parties to the Election Commission of India (ECI).
For details of parties defaulting in their submission of contribution statements, donations declared by the parties without declaring PAN of donors, top donors and donations from foreign countries, refer to the detailed reports in English and Hindi, attached herewith.
To access the reports in both English and Hindi on our website, please see: https://adrindia.org/content/analysis-donations-received-regional-political-parties-%E2%80%93-fy-2020-21
The executive summary below lists the key observations drawn from the report:
Status of submission of
Contribution Reports by Regional Parties to ECI (FY 2020-21)
Out of 54 regional parties
analyzed, only 6 had submitted their
donations reports to the ECI in the stipulated time period. 25 other regional
parties have delayed their submission by a minimum of 3 days to 164
Donations to Regional
Parties as declared to the ECI (FY 2020-21)
- Under Section 29C (1) of the Representation of People’s Act, 1951, political
parties are required to prepare a report providing details of contributions in excess of twenty thousand rupees
from any person in a particular financial year to avail 100% tax exemption.
However, in FY 2020-21, we see that 3 regional parties (DMK, NPF
and SDF) have also provided details of donations received below Rs 20,000 in their contribution
- The total amount of donations declared
by 27 regional parties analysed, including both above and below Rs
20,000, was Rs 124.53 cr, from 3051 donations.
- No donations have been declared
by JMM, NDPP, DMDK and RLTP for FY 2020-21.
- With regard to the total amount
of donations, JDU leads with Rs 60.155 cr from 330 donations
followed by DMK, which has declared
receiving Rs 33.993 cr from 177
donations. AAP declared receiving Rs 11.328 cr that is the third highest
amongst all regional parties. IUML and TRS have declared total
donations Rs 4.165 cr and Rs 4.15 cr respectively.
- 91.38% or Rs 113.791 cr of the total donations received by regional parties
have been received solely by top 5 regional parties.
Comparison of donations
received by Regional Parties between FY 2019-20 and FY 2020-21
- DMK, TRS, JDU and MNS saw the maximum percentage increase in their income from
donations between FY 2019-20 and 2020-21.
- Donations to DMK increased by 1110%, followed by TRS for
which it was 940%, JDU for which it
was 889%, and MNS that saw an increase of 486%.
- Two parties (NDPP and
DMDK) had not received any donations during FY 2019-20 and FY 2020-21.
- JMM, YSR-C, SDF, TDP and Shivsena declared the highest decrease
in the percentage of donations received between FY 2019-20 and 2020-21, of 100%, 99.97%,
99.42%, 99% and 98.90% respectively.
- The top five parties which
declared the highest donations in FY 2020-21 are JDU, DMK, AAP, IUML and TRS.
Out of these parties, JDU, DMK and TRS
declared an increase in their donations
while AAP and IUML declared a decrease in the donations in comparison with FY 2019-20.
Cash donations declared by
the Regional Parties (FY 2020-21)
- Out of the total donations of Rs 124.53 cr declared by the regional parties,
Rs 1.986 cr from 301 donations was received in cash
during FY 2020-21. This formed 1.59% of
the total donations to the parties.
- Maximum donations in cash were declared by DMK, which collected a total of Rs 131.02 lakhs, followed by IUML
with Rs 63.78 lakhs, NPF with Rs 3.855 lakhs and AAP with Rs 110.
- Among all the states, donors
from Tamil Nadu made the highest
donations of Rs 63.78 lakhs in cash
followed by donors from Karnataka who
donated a total of Rs 110 in cash.
- Donations worth
Rs 134.875 lakhs in cash did not have address details. 2 Regional Parties (DMK and NPF) have received
such donations in FY 2020-21
State-wise donations to Regional
Parties (FY 2020-21)
- Segregation of donations according to location was made by ADR based on
the addresses provided by the
parties in their donations report to the ECI.
- Donations declared by the regional parties contained details of
donations received from 24 States/Union Territories/common capitals and 12
countries according to the declared address of donors. Only AAP and KCM
declared donations from abroad.
- Regional parties have declared
receiving the highest donations of Rs 48.658
cr from Delhi, followed by Rs
28.054 cr from Tamil Nadu and Rs 12.452 cr from Maharashtra.
- 0.24% or Rs 30.50 lakhs of the total donations above Rs 20,000 to AAP and KC-M were received
- A total of Rs 10.746 cr (8.63%
of total donations received by the regional parties, FY 2020-21), could not be attributed to any State/Union
Territory due to incomplete or lack
of information provided by the parties.
Donors from Corporates/
business sectors Vs. Individual donors (FY 2020-21)
Disclosure of PAN details in
donations (FY 2020-21)
- 207 donations from corporate/business sectors amounting to Rs 95.45 cr were made to the regional parties while 2569 individual donors donated Rs 25.576 cr to the parties during FY
- In case of National
Parties, 1398 donations were
made by corporate/business sectors amounting to Rs 480.655 cr (80.953% of total donations) while 2258 individual donors donated Rs 111.65 cr (18.804% of total
donations) during FY 2020-21.
- With the maximum number of
donations during FY 2020-21, JDU has declared 58 donations from corporate/business
sectors amounting to Rs 59.249 cr
while 272 individual donors donated Rs 90.60 lakhs to the party.
- Out of 27 regional parties
which declared receiving donations, 10 parties,
have declared donations of donors without
their PAN details.
- Rs 4.333 cr or 3.479% of the total amount of donations
received by regional parties do not have
- Only NPF has not provided PAN details of even a single
donor in its donations statement.