With RGL 0.108.xx, center of rotation no longer pivot on visualized objects

andy cole

Jun 17, 2022, 1:14:23 PM6/17/22
to nat-user
I'm unsure if this is a Nat issue or a RGL issue, but if anyone has found a solution other than downgrading to RGL 0.105.xx, I would love to know it.

The problem:
In the past, using plot3d() would plot any objects I have in my hxsurf file, centering the plot within the window. Likewise, the pivot point for rotation was centered within this plotted area. Perfect.

Since RGL 0.108.xx, plot3d() is rendering objects where they are in the 3d space of my hxsurf file, ie off-center. Further, the pivot point is in the center of this 3d space - which is mostly empty.

I feel like there must be some easy fix, some parameter = TRUE someplace, but I can't find it.

Best,

Andy

artx...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2022, 6:50:47 PM6/22/22
to nat-user
Hi Andy,

as far as i know the rgl plotting device centers on the bounding box of the whatever are in the plot. You can check the bounding box with "par3d()". It's possible that there is some less-visible object (like a single point) that's shifting the pivot point. One workaround is to add some stuff to move/offset the center of the bounding box.

best,
arthur

Gregory Jefferis

Jun 22, 2022, 7:43:12 PM6/22/22
to artx...@gmail.com, nat-user
Thanks, Art.

Andy, although I can’t rule out a change in rgl, I haven’t had any other reports of such behaviour. So it feels like it might be something quite particular like — as Art suggests — an isolated point that is extending the bounding box. It may be helpful to do

plot3d(boundingbox(obj))

On whatever object you are plotting.

All the best,

Greg.