USPS follow up

Faye

Nov 21, 2002, 12:26:29 AM11/21/02
Some might remember my recent dilemma over barkcloth I bought on ebay from a
seller in CT that had mysteriously changed colors when I received it. I had
to call USPS consumer affairs about *yet another* situation this past week
and in the conversation, I mentioned that incident to him. He said that,
because of the anthrax scares, packages going through that area are being
irradiated like food is being irradiated now and that, yes, that could
possibly have been the cause. But at the time the post mistress here denied
that any such thing was going on with the postal service and refused my
insurance claim. (Honestly, some people cannot find their rearends with
both hands these days.) The seller finally refunded the money, but I was
out almost $15 just to return the package because the PO here wouldn't
accept the insurance claim on the package I had paid to insure. I am
becoming increasingly accustomed to getting screwed no matter what I seem to
do in life, but doesn't it seem that, since, as even the post mistress here
admits, package delivery of ebay and other online sales items are literally
what's keeping the postal service afloat these days, they'd try to have
their act together a little more? I guess that's asking too much. Anyway,
just a heads up if you are sending to or receiving packages from the New
England area--they are being zapped.

And while we're on the subject, can someone elaborate on how safe
irradiation of food is? I mean, would a few bugs maybe be safer?

Faye

Faye

Nov 21, 2002, 1:24:53 AM11/21/02
"Cyrus Afzali" <pns...@lnubb.pbz> wrote in message
> Not just New England, but the entire Northeast. All packages above a
> certain weight are re-directed to a few centers with new irradiation
> equipment.

OK, I'm sure I'm not technically correct, as usual, but I call all the
northeast New England :)

Faye

Faye

Nov 21, 2002, 1:36:19 AM11/21/02
"Cyrus Afzali" <pns...@lnubb.pbz> wrote in message

> Not just New England, but the entire Northeast. All packages above a
> certain weight are re-directed to a few centers with new irradiation
> equipment.

You know what? That really fries me. If that is such common knowledge, why
did the post mistress here deny that any such thing was going on and that it
might certainly have caused the problem? People will just say or do
anything to cover their butts these days to keep from having to be out a
dime (not even her dime) and admit liability. <rumble, grumble, mumble>

Faye

Brown Recluse

Nov 21, 2002, 12:37:28 AM11/21/02
In article <arhqg8$urh$1...@slb6.atl.mindspring.net>, Faye
<crabtre...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> But at the time the post mistress here denied
> that any such thing was going on with the postal service and refused my
> insurance claim. (Honestly, some people cannot find their rearends with
> both hands these days.) The seller finally refunded the money, but I was
> out almost $15 just to return the package because the PO here wouldn't
> accept the insurance claim on the package I had paid to insure.

Were you asked for a receipt when you made an insurance claim?

A relative mailed something recently with USPS, and it got broken on
the way. When she tried to claim the insurance they said no, not
without a receipt. Yesterday, I mailed something and they offered me
insurance. I asked whether a receipt would be necessary for a claim
and the postal employee told me "no". I asked for written rules on
their policies and they said they had no such thing. I'm a little
dubious about postal insurance now, and wonder what they told you with
regard to having a receipt.

Faye

Nov 21, 2002, 2:13:06 AM11/21/02
> NY, NJ and many of the populous areas of the Northeast are considered
> to be the Mid-Atlantic region.

Well, they all look alike ;-)

Faye

Faye

Nov 21, 2002, 2:22:54 AM11/21/02
> Honestly, she might not have known. Who knows. I haven't heard of them
> irradiating any mail in Connecticut as their mail isn't processed at
> any facility where anthrax ever turned up. Also, CT really isn't
> covered by any of our news outlets since nothing ever happens in chic
> Fairfield County except for locals trying to keep out of area people
> off the beaches. So it wouldn't be unusual for me not to have heard.

But, you know, Cyrus, it's her job to know! Really, that's what they do. I
asked her pointedly if they were x-raying or treating the mail somehow in CT
and she didn't check, wouldn't check when I asked her to, just continued to
shake her head and say *oh, no, no.* Maybe they provide legal training for
postal officials--deny, Deny, DENY. I mean, it's certainly not like this is
the worst thing in the world that's happened and I realize it might sound
like I'm making too big a deal of it, but the PO just screws up so often it
seems. I never insure packages any more because I'd rather be out the cost
of whatever is destroyed than to have to deal with the folks at the PO.
Nothing is ever their fault, to hear them tell it, any way. OK, sigh, rant
over.

Faye

Faye

Nov 21, 2002, 2:44:56 AM11/21/02
"Brown Recluse" <brown....@biteme.com> wrote in message

> Were you asked for a receipt when you made an insurance claim?
>
> A relative mailed something recently with USPS, and it got broken on
> the way. When she tried to claim the insurance they said no, not
> without a receipt. Yesterday, I mailed something and they offered me
> insurance. I asked whether a receipt would be necessary for a claim
> and the postal employee told me "no". I asked for written rules on
> their policies and they said they had no such thing. I'm a little
> dubious about postal insurance now, and wonder what they told you with
> regard to having a receipt.

I've made several claims for broken stuff, BR, and it is always a hassle.
Note my other message I just added that I just don't get insurance any more
because it's not worth the hassle. This is how it has worked in my
situations. When I buy something that is to be shipped to me, I pay the
seller for the item, shipping, and insurance. They ship the item and pay
for insurance (with my money) and they get the receipt. If the item is
broken when it arrives, I have to contact the seller and get him to send me
the receipt he got when he shipped the package to give the PO on my end when
I fill out the claim form, at which point the PO here starts in that they
have no way of knowing that the merchandise wasn't broken to start with, so
why should they make good on my claim. yadafreakinyada. At which point I
say why did they sell the shipper insurance if they thought the merchandise
was already damaged and in selling the insurance that was the liability the
PO accepted and on and on ad nauseum. It's a racket.

With the infamous fabric, the post mistress told me to send the fabric back
to the seller and to let him claim insurance on his end. Well, the seller
refunded the money I paid for the item and for shipping and insurance, BUT I
was out the cost of the return shipping and the seller still had the
insurance receipt and I don't know if he filed a claim or not, which I asked
him to since I had paid for the insurance and to include the cost of return
shipping in the claim, but he never contacted me again, so I don't know if
he filed the claim for insurance that I paid for and I was just too worn out
to deal with it any more. So I was the loser. tada.

My advice is if something is extremely valuable get insurance, but take
photos of it from all angles before shipping, leave the box open when you
take it to the PO so they can see that what you are shipping is not broken,
then pack the box there and ship it. If something isn't that expensive, eat
the cost if it breaks and save yourself a major headache.

Faye

His Jadedness Andy

Nov 21, 2002, 3:33:55 AM11/21/02
>My advice is if something is extremely valuable get insurance, but take
>photos of it from all angles before shipping, leave the box open when you
>take it to the PO so they can see that what you are shipping is not broken,
>then pack the box there and ship it. If something isn't that expensive, eat
>the cost if it breaks and save yourself a major headache.
>
>Faye

My advice is avoid the US Postal Service in all circumstances possible- FedEX
or United Parcel are, imho, MUCH better at both delivery and handling claims!

--
His Jadedness, Andy
Un-Official TMG Wish List Message Board

Edward Locke

Nov 21, 2002, 5:03:39 AM11/21/02
Cyrus Afzali <pns...@lnubb.pbz> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:26:29 -0600, "Faye"
><crabtre...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>Anyway, just a heads up if you are sending to or receiving packages from the New
>>England area--they are being zapped.
>

>Not just New England, but the entire Northeast. All packages above a
>certain weight are re-directed to a few centers with new irradiation
>equipment.

If so, that's a change from their publicized policy.

http://www.usps.com/news/facts/lfu_013102.htm

|---------------------------------------------------|
| Edward A. Locke |
| huyge...@yahoo.com |
| http://spacestamps.amhosting.com/ |
|---------------------------------------------------|

Faye

Nov 21, 2002, 12:44:01 PM11/21/02
"Edward Locke" <huyge...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> If so, that's a change from their publicized policy.

I was told over the phone by a person in USPS consumer affairs that packages
in the CT area were being irradiated.

Faye

Faye

Nov 21, 2002, 12:48:07 PM11/21/02
"His Jadedness Andy" <agh...@aol.commonMkt> wrote in message

> My advice is avoid the US Postal Service in all circumstances possible-
FedEX
> or United Parcel are, imho, MUCH better at both delivery and handling
claims!

Yes, Andy, definitely after a certain weight (about 6 or 7 pounds usually)
you will get a much better rate with UPS, the value compounded by the fact
that the UPS rate includes insurance. I do wish they would lower their
rates for packages weighing less, but I guess there's a bottom line figure
where it's no longer worth their time and energy. (I've never used FedEx.)

Faye

Faye

Nov 21, 2002, 4:07:31 PM11/21/02
> The UPS rate doesn't include insurance.

Sorry, Cyrus, I ship with UPS and receive stuff from them quite frequently
and for items valued at, I think, under $100 the insurance is included in
the rate. Maybe yours had something to do with international shipping or
the value of the merchandise. I got a 26 pound box of dishes from Michigan
today via UPS ground and it cost under $16 to ship, it was insured as the
value was under $100, it took only two days to get here, nothing was broken,
and the smiling delivery person was friendly and most pleasant (as opposed
to the often *sulled up* USPS employees). USPS priority mail shipping on
this package would have been $24 sans insurance and, with my luck with USPS,
it would have been broken or lost or both. I much prefer UPS when the
weight of the package is enough to get a lower rate. The girl at the UPS
customer counter here says they should put me on the payroll as their
spokesperson because I so often praise the grand service I've gotten from
them. No service is perfect, but I've sure seen a big improvement in UPS in
recent years as USPS service has continued to decline.

Faye

Faye

Nov 21, 2002, 4:14:17 PM11/21/02
I will add that with UPS, you get a tracking number for each package you
ship and you can go online any time and check on the progress the package
has made toward its destination and see if it has been delivered. This is
great for shippers and recipients, buyers and sellers. Everyone knows where
the package is and what's happening with it. With USPS there is an extra
charge for any sort of delivery confirmation.

Faye