Last night on west end.

0 views
Skip to first unread message

EASTSIDECOMMUTER

unread,
Dec 15, 2009, 12:08:25 PM12/15/09
to Nashville Urban Bicycle League
Would like to formally thank the group of cyclists on west end last
night near vandy who barreled through a red light nearly taking us
out. Yes we were on bikes too, only we had lights, helmets, common
decency and of course, the GREEN light. Douchebags!!!!

Candice Gay

unread,
Dec 15, 2009, 2:13:37 PM12/15/09
to EASTSIDECOMMUTER, Nashville Urban Bicycle League
Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to spam the east Nashville group
with rude comments the next time I have an unpleasant cycling
experience on the Eastside. Surely they're all to blame right?

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 15, 2009, at 11:08 AM, EASTSIDECOMMUTER
> --
>
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Nashville Urban Bicycle League" group.
> To post to this group, send email to nashville-urban...@googlegroups.com
> .
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to nashville-urban-bicyc...@googlegroups.com
> .
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nashville-urban-bicycle-league?hl=en
> .
>
>

David Richardson

unread,
Dec 15, 2009, 2:20:17 PM12/15/09
to EASTSIDECOMMUTER, Nashville Urban Bicycle League
Coming from the person with the email address of "takin the lane @ hotmail.com".
I guess you're lane got took now didnt it?
:)

Maybe its Landotter?

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nashville Urban Bicycle League" group.
To post to this group, send email to nashville-urban...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to nashville-urban-bicyc...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nashville-urban-bicycle-league?hl=en.





--
- David

Zach Keller

unread,
Dec 15, 2009, 2:27:11 PM12/15/09
to Nashville Urban Bicycle League
Well as long as you got your PBR, full sleeve tattoos and greaser hair, it's all good to ride however you want to on the East side dawwwgies.

Zach Keller

unread,
Dec 15, 2009, 2:49:13 PM12/15/09
to Nashville Urban Bicycle League
Yeah it's certainly unfortunate that the OP got cut off by some fellow cyclists.
However, posting to the list and yelling douchebags at the general population helps nothing, and quite frankly, tags you as an asshole.

So next time, Mr. Lane Taker/Eastside till i die, let's be a little more polite and work out our grievances constructively.

kthxbye.


On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 1:45 PM, glenn kamka <glenn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Somehow I don't see how taking the lane compares to cyclists on West End running a red light. Taking the lane is a self-risk and running a light puts yourself AND others at risk. No matter the location of the violation, they could've come from anywhere. I don't condone the behavior but it does happen and kudos to you for keeping safe and avoiding the carnage.!
Glenn T Kamka
Freewheelin' Bicycle Service
615-506-9493

EASTSIDECOMMUTER

unread,
Dec 15, 2009, 5:25:48 PM12/15/09
to Nashville Urban Bicycle League
You're right, I'm sorry.

On Dec 15, 1:49 pm, Zach Keller <idc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah it's certainly unfortunate that the OP got cut off by some fellow
> cyclists.
> However, posting to the list and yelling douchebags at the general
> population helps nothing, and quite frankly, tags you as an asshole.
>
> So next time, Mr. Lane Taker/Eastside till i die, let's be a little more
> polite and work out our grievances constructively.
>
> kthxbye.
>
>
>
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 1:45 PM, glenn kamka <glennka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Somehow I don't see how taking the lane compares to cyclists on West End
> > running a red light. Taking the lane is a self-risk and running a light puts
> > yourself AND others at risk. No matter the location of the violation, they
> > could've come from anywhere. I don't condone the behavior but it does happen
> > and kudos to you for keeping safe and avoiding the carnage.!
>
> > On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Zach Keller <idc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Well as long as you got your PBR, full sleeve tattoos and greaser hair,
> >> it's all good to ride however you want to on the East side dawwwgies.
>
> >> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 1:20 PM, David Richardson <yummysa...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >>> Coming from the person with the email address of "takin the lane @
> >>> hotmail.com".
> >>> I guess you're lane got took now didnt it?
> >>> :)
>
> >>> Maybe its Landotter?
>
> >>> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 11:08 AM, EASTSIDECOMMUTER <
> >>> takinthel...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>>> Would like to formally thank the group of cyclists on west end last
> >>>> night near vandy who barreled through a red light nearly taking us
> >>>> out. Yes we were on bikes too, only we had lights, helmets, common
> >>>> decency and of course, the GREEN light. Douchebags!!!!
>
> >>>> --
>
> >>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> >>>> Groups "Nashville Urban Bicycle League" group.
> >>>> To post to this group, send email to
> >>>> nashville-urban...@googlegroups.com.
> >>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> >>>> nashville-urban-bicyc...@googlegroups.com<nashville-urban -bicycle-league%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >>>> .
> >>>> For more options, visit this group at
> >>>>http://groups.google.com/group/nashville-urban-bicycle-league?hl=en.
>
> >>> --
> >>> - David
>
> >>>  --
> >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> >>> "Nashville Urban Bicycle League" group.
> >>> To post to this group, send email to
> >>> nashville-urban...@googlegroups.com.
> >>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> >>> nashville-urban-bicyc...@googlegroups.com<nashville-urban -bicycle-league%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >>> .
> >>> For more options, visit this group at
> >>>http://groups.google.com/group/nashville-urban-bicycle-league?hl=en.
>
> >>  --
> >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> >> "Nashville Urban Bicycle League" group.
> >> To post to this group, send email to
> >> nashville-urban...@googlegroups.com.
> >> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> >> nashville-urban-bicyc...@googlegroups.com<nashville-urban -bicycle-league%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >> .

Pat Clements

unread,
Dec 15, 2009, 5:59:08 PM12/15/09
to Nashville Urban Bicycle League
Welcome to one of the struggles of bicycling advocates:  fighting the stereotypes that develop from impolite bicyclists.  It's kinda ironic that it happened this way - you douchebags!  LOL!

Being involved in Harpeth Bike Club, we get beat up for big groups of "slow rolling" bicycles that don't allow cars to pass.  I've personally met with representatives from Thompson Station board of aldermen about these same bike/car issues before they considered anti-bike ordinances.  One of the Rutherford County commissioners discussed banning bicycles from certain county roads with the RC safety commission.  Yes, Bike Walk Tennessee and Murfreesboro Bike Club sent someone to meet with him and the mayor. 

I do in fact slow roll stop signs when no cars are present because it's a tremendous effort to stop and start.  And run red lights if I've been waiting a while, which is illegal to do on a bicycle (not a motorcycle.)  I don't think Nashville has any detection loops for bicycles at red lights.

I regularly take the lane when making a move or simply guarding my lane position, which is perfectly legal AND safe but really pisses off SUV drivers that are late for a soccer game or whatever.  It's very hard to convince people that don't bicycle, or aren't athletes, to accept that bicycles belong.  Why would anyone want to ride a bike when they could be driving?  I hope for these people that they continue to come up with better prevention and treatment for diabetes and heart disease (other than watching what you eat and living a more active lifestyle.)

Yall be safe and polite out there. 

Pat Clements

---------------------------------------------------
http://www.bikewalktn.org/
EXPECT BIKE TRAFFIC!


To unsubscribe from this group, send email to nashville-urban-bicyc...@googlegroups.com.

Matthew Mckeever

unread,
Dec 15, 2009, 6:02:08 PM12/15/09
to Zach Keller, Nashville Urban Bicycle League
What you are describing sounds more like the springwater than the east side.

Take the lane is an awesome name and everyone should know when to do it.

M

Zach Keller

unread,
Dec 15, 2009, 6:03:02 PM12/15/09
to Nashville Urban Bicycle League
Well clearly if you are riding a bicycle then it's because you can afford an SUV. And if you can afford an SUV then you dont matter.

I kid....sort of.

But yeah, good post Pat.

Look, some people are gonna ride their bikes like jerks. No question. but let's not crucify everyone for the actions of a few.

Dan Hensley

unread,
Dec 15, 2009, 10:08:03 PM12/15/09
to Nashville Urban Bicycle League
We were hauling ass cuz we had the green and wanted to get across West
End before it changed. If any of us would have hit any of them,
people would have definitely been hurt. The only reason we got upset
is because one of the guys yelled at us to "watch out/get out of the
way" as they ran the red light. Just wasn't cool.

Chris Callis

unread,
Dec 16, 2009, 10:33:34 AM12/16/09
to nashville-urban...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad you're arguing about other cyclist running red lights instead of cars. Could have been worse.


STC

--- On Tue, 12/15/09, Dan Hensley <danfh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nashville Urban Bicycle League" group.
To post to this group, send email to nashville-urban...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to nashville-urban-bicycle-league+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Dan Hensley

unread,
Dec 16, 2009, 10:48:50 AM12/16/09
to Nashville Urban Bicycle League
Exactly. If we had been a car, this would have been a very different
story.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint. I'll roll red lights and stop signs
once I know it's clear/safe. Just don't want to see anyone get hurt
needlessly.

...and as Pat pointed out, cyclists have enough problems with cars.
fighting amongst ourselves just moves the focus away from the real
issues.

keith gallagher

unread,
Dec 16, 2009, 5:32:24 PM12/16/09
to Chris Callis, nashville-urban...@googlegroups.com
I think that sort of venting goes to the nashvilleurbannonbicyclist group, Chris.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to nashville-urban-bicyc...@googlegroups.com.

daveisunoriginal

unread,
Dec 18, 2009, 12:18:39 AM12/18/09
to Nashville Urban Bicycle League
everything i've read in the TN and Davidson county laws says that we
are aloud to run red lights if there are no other cars to trigger the
sensors. and of course after waiting for a reasonable amount of time.
same as the motorcycle law. i've also questioned a police officer
about it who confirmed it. which doesn't really mean anything since
95% of the police in nashville know nothing about TN bicycle laws.

On Dec 15, 4:59 pm, Pat Clements <p...@patclements.com> wrote:
> Welcome to one of the struggles of bicycling advocates:  fighting the
> stereotypes that develop from impolite bicyclists.  It's kinda ironic that
> it happened this way - you douchebags!  LOL!
>
> Being involved in Harpeth Bike Club, we get beat up for big groups of "slow
> rolling" bicycles that don't allow cars to pass.  I've personally met with
> representatives from Thompson Station board of aldermen about these same
> bike/car issues before they considered anti-bike ordinances.  One of the
> Rutherford County commissioners discussed banning bicycles from certain
> county roads with the RC safety commission.  Yes, Bike Walk Tennessee and
> Murfreesboro Bike Club sent someone to meet with him and the mayor.
>
> I do in fact slow roll stop signs when no cars are present because it's a
> tremendous effort to stop and start.  And run red lights if I've been
> waiting a while, which is illegal to do on a bicycle (not a motorcycle.)  I

> don't think Nashville has *any *detection loops for bicycles at red lights.


>
> I regularly take the lane when making a move or simply guarding my lane

> position, which is perfectly legal AND safe but *really* pisses off SUV


> drivers that are late for a soccer game or whatever.  It's very hard to
> convince people that don't bicycle, or aren't athletes, to accept that
> bicycles belong.  Why would anyone want to ride a bike when they could be
> driving?  I hope for these people that they continue to come up with better
> prevention and treatment for diabetes and heart disease (other than watching
> what you eat and living a more active lifestyle.)
>

> Yall be safe and *polite *out there.
>
> Pat Clements
>
> ---------------------------------------------------http://www.bikewalktn.org/


> EXPECT BIKE TRAFFIC!
>
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 4:25 PM, EASTSIDECOMMUTER

> <takinthel...@hotmail.com>wrote:

> > > >>>> nashville-urban-bicyc...@googlegroups.com<nashville-urban -bicycle-league%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com><nashville-urban
> > -bicycle-league%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<bicycle-league%252Bunsubscri b...@googlegroups.com>


>
> > > >>>> .
> > > >>>> For more options, visit this group at
> > > >>>>http://groups.google.com/group/nashville-urban-bicycle-league?hl=en.
>
> > > >>> --
> > > >>> - David
>
> > > >>>  --
> > > >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> > Groups
> > > >>> "Nashville Urban Bicycle League" group.
> > > >>> To post to this group, send email to
> > > >>> nashville-urban...@googlegroups.com.
> > > >>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to

> > > >>> nashville-urban-bicyc...@googlegroups.com<nashville-urban -bicycle-league%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com><nashville-urban
> > -bicycle-league%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<bicycle-league%252Bunsubscri b...@googlegroups.com>


>
> > > >>> .
> > > >>> For more options, visit this group at
> > > >>>http://groups.google.com/group/nashville-urban-bicycle-league?hl=en.
>
> > > >>  --
> > > >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> > Groups
> > > >> "Nashville Urban Bicycle League" group.
> > > >> To post to this group, send email to
> > > >> nashville-urban...@googlegroups.com.
> > > >> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to

> > > >> nashville-urban-bicyc...@googlegroups.com<nashville-urban -bicycle-league%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com><nashville-urban
> > -bicycle-league%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<bicycle-league%252Bunsubscri b...@googlegroups.com>


>
> > > >> .
> > > >> For more options, visit this group at
> > > >>http://groups.google.com/group/nashville-urban-bicycle-league?hl=en.
>
> > > > --
> > > > Glenn T Kamka
> > > > Freewheelin' Bicycle Service
> > > >615-506-9493
>
> > --
>
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > "Nashville Urban Bicycle League" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to
> > nashville-urban...@googlegroups.com.
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to

Pat Clements

unread,
Dec 18, 2009, 10:21:29 AM12/18/09
to Nashville Urban Bicycle League
I do know that TN law spells out motorcycles and not bicycles.  I'm not sure about Davidson and Nashville laws to be honest. 

Interestingly, Nashville metro has had a safe passing law for years, well before the TN 3ft law.  I didn't know that until Glen Wanner pointed it out to me.

---------------------------------------------------

http://www.bikewalktn.org/
EXPECT BIKE TRAFFIC!


To unsubscribe from this group, send email to nashville-urban-bicyc...@googlegroups.com.

Neil Fronheiser

unread,
Dec 18, 2009, 3:36:36 PM12/18/09
to daveisunoriginal, Nashville Urban Bicycle League
Under that law, you have to stop first. It doesn't say you can "run" the light. I think that if you read it literally, you actually have to wait until a whole cycle is run. If you can't trip the light alone, that you may proceed with caution.
The only light I have ever had to do this at is the one by the Rutledge, going towards the bridge. Everything else I can get through if I wait. I look at pulling away from stop lights as spring training anyway.
Can anyone find and post a link to this part of the traffic l;aw?


-----Original Message-----
From: "daveisunoriginal" <daveisun...@hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 12:18am
To: "Nashville Urban Bicycle League" <nashville-urban...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Last night on west end.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to nashville-urban-bicyc...@googlegroups.com.Neil Fronheiser
Bike Pedlar Brentwood
144 Franklin Rd.
Brentwood, Tn. 37027
ph (615) 373-4700
fax (615) 373-4797
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages