Nashville Scene Article

Chris Callis

Mar 19, 2010, 3:27:20 PM3/19/10
to nashville-urban...@googlegroups.com

Jimmy Thorn

Mar 19, 2010, 3:32:26 PM3/19/10
to Chris Callis, nashville-urban...@googlegroups.com
that.is.something…

Austin Bauman

Mar 19, 2010, 3:42:19 PM3/19/10
to Jimmy Thorn, nashville-urban...@googlegroups.com, Chris Callis
I don't know who this Milo guy is, but it sounds like Sharpy to me.

--
Austin Bauman
Owner / Messenger

http://www.greenfleetmessengers.com

work: (615) 463-0602
cell: (615) 870-8848
aus...@greenfleetmessengers.com

"When you send a bicycle, you replace a car."

From: Jimmy Thorn <jimmy...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:32:26 -0500
To: Chris Callis<chrisg...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Nashville Scene Article

Pat Clements

Mar 19, 2010, 3:49:22 PM3/19/10
to nashville-urban...@googlegroups.com
It's been going out on all the local lists.  HBC has had a discussion on their General list.  Walk Bike Nashville board of directors has been discussing it.  I'm sure it'll be on the Bike Walk TN list any minute now.  I can't get to Facebook from work!  But I presume there's plenty of action about it.

In my opinion, bad attention to bicycling is better than no attention at all.  Maybe if the Scene sees how many comments and page views on the website, they'll run more articles on bicycling in the future.  The author is a turd for making people out to be so evil.  But, much of it is deserved for both angry impatient drivers and rude law-breaking bicyclists.

Zach Keller

Mar 19, 2010, 4:01:23 PM3/19/10
to Nashville Urban Bicycle League
Good read.
I was riding from my house by halcyon to Osborne's grocery a few weeks ago. Came to the stop sign at the end of my street to turn onto belmont. left turn.
Some asshat in a car behind me tries to go around me even though I was in the middle of the lane and was there 3 minutes before him.

I didn't budge and made sure he couldn't get around me. He almost hit me so I began screaming Cannibal Corpse style at him.

He passed me as I was still berating him and he got 100 feet up and slowed down. So I sprinted to get up next to him.
When he saw that I was going to give him the what fors in a more intimate setting he took off with the quickness.

If I could have gotten that dude at a stop next to me I'm not sure what i would have done, but I was mad enough to get into a fist fight on belmont for sure.
That kid seriously almost ran me over, and he broke the law when he did it.

I drive AND ride, and people have gotta be able to give a little each way.

The lesson: Don't cut off large UT fan bike riders, and if you do, don't be surprised when they try to come kick your ass.

David Richardson

Mar 19, 2010, 4:31:34 PM3/19/10
to Zach Keller, Nashville Urban Bicycle League
I have zero remorse, right this second, for any luggies or broken mirrors or u-lock dents I've put into any car that deliberately tried to cut me off. Its not just in this state either. Its all over. The closest I've ever been to a fist fight because of me slowing down the speeding process of a driver on the road was not even in Tennessee.
- David

Sean Cobra Omegaforce

Mar 19, 2010, 7:47:24 PM3/19/10
to Nashville Urban Bicycle League
I think that the article is fair and shows both sides of the story,
basically that there are assholes riding both cars and bikes; the
difference being that the cars are more dangerous, obviously. That
said, cyclists should still be courteous on the road because one slow
moving bike that doesn't let a car pass gives us all a bad name. I'm
no stranger to enacting "U lock justice" but we shouldn't feel that
just because some drivers are assholes that we have some sort of
entitlement to act in any way we want on the road. I always keep in
mind when I'm in a roadway confrontation, that even though I could
probably take at least 95% of Nashville motorists in a fist-fight,
they still have a weapon much more dangerous than the U lock or chain
that I may be carrying, their car. I've seen some Nashville bike
riders instigating conflicts and honestly I am ashamed and embarrassed
from it. Sure, loogie, dent, kick and punch any car or driver that is
jeopardizing your safety and your life by driving either aggressively
or carelessly, but leave the others alone. Share the road with THEM
too.

On Mar 19, 12:27 pm, Chris Callis <chrisgcal...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Did anyone else read this?http://www.nashvillescene.com/2010-03-18/news/if-you-re-thinking-of-p...

Pat Clements

Mar 19, 2010, 10:33:51 PM3/19/10
to Nashville Urban Bicycle League
I think we need some consensus on how to spell loogie or luggie before we can actually choose to hock one.

Neil Fronheiser

Mar 20, 2010, 10:06:42 AM3/20/10
to Pat Clements, Nashville Urban Bicycle League
I thought "luggie" was a slang term for an old steel frame. I was wondering why people were throwing them at cars. I feel better now.