Stepper motor question

Skye Sweeney

Mar 25, 2020, 12:38:53 PM3/25/20
to nashuarob...@googlegroups.com

If a stepper motor is rated at a given RPM does it matter what the micro stepping rate is set to?

As an example, suppose the stepper is rated for 5 revolutions per second. Since the motor as 200 steps per rev that givens you (5*200) 1000 full steps per second as your max step rate speed.

If you now switch to 16x microstepping, can the motor be run at (1000*16) 16,000 micro steps per second? (assuming the driver can even generate 16,000 pulses per second).

--
-Skye Sweeney

Dana Kelley

Mar 26, 2020, 9:05:12 AM3/26/20
to nashuarob...@googlegroups.com
I would say maybe, same revs per second.

I know low power, say 2amp motor drivers, should respond with the correct pulse.

It then depends on the motor inductance and inertia.  The lower the inductance the shorter the time constant. Is the motor designer for micro-stepping at the same rate?

One way to find out is to try it. Ramping up and down may be a key consideration.

Dana

Skye Sweeney

Mar 26, 2020, 9:39:42 AM3/26/20
to nashuarob...@googlegroups.com

"One way to find out is to try it."

The proof is always in the pudding. I will be running this test, but I was hoping for some backup.
NEMA17 motor for 3D printing tend to have inductance and current to allow for 5 RPS at the shaft.
Now I just need to figure out if there is a dependency of micro stepping.
Unfortunately I had a nasty run in with an Exacto knife and my dominant hand is out of comission for another week.
So this was mosty a thought experiment to keep from going stir crazy in this Covid world.

--
-Skye Sweeney