Meeting this coming Tuesday, February 28th

Chris Mihalcik

Feb 21, 2023, 7:35:30 PM2/21/23
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Hi all! - NashFP is coming up next Tuesday at 6. Looking for show and tell topics.

Scott Southworth, I think you mentioned that your kid was working on something?

- Chris

Bryan Hunter

Feb 28, 2023, 4:17:07 PM2/28/23
to Nashville Functional Programmers
Here's a Zoom link for tonight's meeting at 6PM.

Bryan Hunter

Feb 28, 2023, 9:15:19 PM2/28/23
to Nashville Functional Programmers
Chat log from the night...

Note 18:04:20 From Bryan Hunter to Everyone:
https://mitpress.mit.edu/9780262546379/the-little-learner/
18:04:40 From Bryan Hunter to Everyone:
https://leanprover.github.io/
18:07:02 From Andrew Zipperer to Everyone:
https://mitpress.mit.edu/9780262536431/the-little-typer/
18:13:07 From Bryan Hunter to Everyone:
Last day to submit talks to ThatConference https://that.us/call-for-counselors/wi/2023/
18:15:24 From Bryan Hunter to Everyone:
Shritesh has been busy playing games https://direct.playstation.com/en-us/playstation-vr2
18:26:12 From Chris Mihalcik to Everyone:
have to step away for a moment...
18:29:50 From Bryan Hunter to Everyone:
A paper on Lean by Andrew Zipperer https://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/avigad/Students/zipperer_ms_thesis.pdf
18:39:18 From Shritesh Bhattarai to Everyone:
https://www.ma.imperial.ac.uk/~buzzard/xena/natural_number_game/
18:54:34 From Bryan Hunter to Everyone:
Dependent Types “killer app” (not found) https://dafoster.net/articles/2019/01/06/dependent-types-impressions-of-a-software-practitioner/
18:54:57 From Patrick Carver to Everyone:
https://softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/401218/is-there-a-practical-use-for-dependent-types
19:01:21 From Bryan Hunter to Everyone:
https://puredata.info/
19:10:40 From Bryan Hunter to Everyone:
"Waterpark: Distributed Actors vs the Pandemic" by Bryan Hunter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qUfX3XFi_4
19:47:49 From Bryan Hunter to Everyone:
Bryan Hunter will be facilitator in March

Mark Wutka

Mar 1, 2023, 3:10:54 PM3/1/23
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!  Sounds like it was a good meeting last night!  In addition to "The Little Learner" book, I learned today that MIT Press also just published another Racket/Scheme book called "Essentials of Compilation" (https://mitpress.mit.edu/9780262047760/essentials-of-compilation/)
A few years ago Jason brought up the idea of writing micro-pass compilers, and Jeremy Siek, the author of "Essentials of Compilation" was at the time doing a compilers course with micropass compilers. It looks like he mostly abandoned the micropass stuff, but uses an incremental approach.
The book is licensed via a Creating Content license and you can download the TeX sources for it, as well as a PDF from here:

The Github repo also includes a sample syllabus for the class, and inside the syllabus is a link to lecture videos and course notes from 2020. This seems like quite a treasure trove!
  Mark

Mark Wutka

Mar 5, 2023, 1:57:05 PM3/5/23
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Just a followup on the "Essentials of Compilation" book, I said that he had abandoned the micropass (or nanopass) approach, but that was incorrect. It still works that way, and the exercises in the book lead you through developing various passes as you add features. This sure seems like what Jason was aiming toward a while back when he proposed trying to do a compiler.

Michael Kerekes

Mar 5, 2023, 11:08:10 PM3/5/23
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I missed the meeting.  Gmail decided that nashfp messages were spam.  Sounds like you had a good time.