April meeting next week

Shritesh Bhattarai

Apr 19, 2022, 10:34:11 AM4/19/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Hey Folks!

NashFP is next Tuesday (over Zoom).

Please reply here so we can build the agenda for the meeting: topics, projects, interesting today-I-learned nuggets, things you’ve been working on or something you’d like to see the gang present.

Thanks,
Shritesh

Mark Wutka

Apr 19, 2022, 11:01:10 AM4/19/22
to nashfp
I don't know if this will be as interesting to others as it is to me, but in celebration of its 75th anniversary, the ACM has opened up the first 50 years of its digital archive for free access. Here's the article about it, with a link to the download library:

Anyway, I started looking through it for interesting articles, and found that I tend to gravitate towards functional ones. I'll put some links here, but maybe if folks wanted to they could look for interesting papers and share something about them at the meeting?  Here are some I found interesting:
Dijkstra's "Goto Considered Harmful": https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/362929.362947
(Incidentally, Dijkstra had called it "A Case Against the Goto Statement", but Niklaus Wirth, the editor of the ACM at the time, gave it the meme-forming title we know it by)
John McCarthy's initial paper about Lisp in 1959: https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/612201.612243
P. J. Landin's "The Next 700 Programming Languages" from 1966, presenting a theoretical language called ISWIM that was more expression-based than statement-based and eventually influenced the design of functional languages: https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/365230.365257
John Backus' "Can Programming Be Liberated From the von Neumann Style? A Functional Style and Its Algebra of Programs" - from the guy who invented FORTRAN, his 1977 Turing Award lecture about functional programming: https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/359576.359579

Bryan Hunter

Apr 26, 2022, 8:11:44 AM4/26/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Mark!  Really cool that the ACM has opened these up.