February 23 meeting

Jason Orendorff

Feb 16, 2021, 3:37:58 PM2/16/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

Wow, February is going by fast. We have an online meeting coming up in just 7 days!

What would you like to talk about? Please reply with your question, show-and-tell, today-i-learned, or let's-hack-together suggestion.

-j

Jason Orendorff

Feb 18, 2021, 9:52:43 AM2/18/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 2:36 PM Jason Orendorff <jason.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
Please reply with your question, show-and-tell, today-i-learned, or let's-hack-together suggestion.

Come on, y'all... :)

I have a few ideas for topics. Feel free to vote if there's one you want to hear about.

- Nix. Nix is a package manager, but there's a surprisingly nice purely functional programming language in it, and the fact that it's a functional language is key to what Nix is trying to do. Software packages are pure functions in Nix.

- Unison, a recent functional programming language along the same lines. Neat effects system in it.

- Merkle trees and content-addressable stores, a common thread in Nix, Unison, and Git, also useful in any situation where computers have to share lots of data: peer-to-peer file-sharing, databases, distributed filesystems. Maybe this is super familiar to everyone by now. But there's not anything wrong with telling the old tales again once in a while. (Relevant to FP because it thrives on immutability; every content-addressable store is chock full of persistent data structures.)

- Or: physical unclonable functions, which are... a strange new hardware primitive in cryptography. This would be fun because I would quite obviously not know what I was talking about.

-j

Dan Day

Feb 18, 2021, 11:09:26 AM2/18/21
to Nashville Functional Programmers
Those all sound interesting Jason!
I could briefly share some things I'm learning about Cardano, a 3rd-generation cryptocurrency written on top of Haskell. Unless someone has already?
Some details- 100 peer-reviewed white papers written, apparently uses less power to mine (proof of stake vs proof of work?), deployment in Africa soon and it being used for a decentralized AI project called SingularityNET, in which many AI's can interact and transact with each other on the blockchain. I'd be interested what other people's takes are on this.

Mark Wutka

Feb 18, 2021, 12:30:11 PM2/18/21
to nashfp
If I had to pick one I might choose the merkle trees, but like Dan said, they all sound good. I could do a short thing on McCarthy's 91 function, which is something that is deceptively simple yet hard to verify with theorem provers.
  Mark

Jason Orendorff

Feb 21, 2021, 1:49:10 PM2/21/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
OK, I'll prepare to speak about Merkle trees. If there's free time, I can talk a bit about this question, and the mini-project that led to it:

-j

Bryan Hunter

Feb 23, 2021, 12:00:51 PM2/23/21
to Nashville Functional Programmers
Looking forward to Cardano and Merkle Trees!

Here a Zoom link for tonight...

Topic: NashFP - Feb 2021
Time: Feb 23, 2021 06:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)
Meeting ID: 853 4782 9580
Passcode: 453398

Bryan Hunter

Feb 23, 2021, 9:47:05 PM2/23/21
to Nashville Functional Programmers
Chat log from the meeting...

18:18:58 From Bryan Hunter to Everyone : https://craftinginterpreters.com/
18:22:06 From Bryan Hunter to Everyone : https://github.com/shritesh/ex_lox
18:26:45 From Shritesh Bhattarai to Everyone : https://github.com/bitwalker/libgraph
18:29:40 From scott southworth to Everyone : Hey guys! Smartlogic.io asked me to post that they’re hiring an Elixir dev/mgr/team-lead, fully remote — https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2390841296/
18:30:10 From Bryan Hunter to Everyone : Dan Day https://cardano.org/
18:40:00 From scott southworth to Everyone : Here’s my take on bitcoin and the environment: https://twitter.com/Benioff/status/549339156854214656
19:13:19 From Bryan Hunter to Everyone : shasum -a 256
19:25:47 From Shritesh Bhattarai to Everyone : https://shop.jcoglan.com/building-git/
19:26:41 From Shritesh Bhattarai to Everyone : The book is 50% off today: https://twitter.com/mountain_ghosts/status/1363946449181044742
19:34:36 From Patrick Carver to Everyone : Unison: the LaCroix of programming languages
19:47:44 From Shritesh Bhattarai to Everyone : https://www.unisonweb.org/docs/faq#how-do-i-share-my-code
19:48:29 From Luke to Everyone : Smalltalk... why is it always Smalltalk?  - Indiehacker Jones
19:49:58 From Mark Wutka to Everyone : function f(n) { if (n <= 100) { return f(f(n+11)); } else { return n-10 }}
20:07:17 From Mark Mynsted to Everyone : brew tap unisonweb/unison
brew install unison-language
20:08:24 From Mark Mynsted to Everyone : brew upgrade unison-language.
20:08:41 From Mark Mynsted to Everyone : oops, ingore the . at the end
20:09:07 From Morgan Foster to Everyone : I g2g great talk and discussion everyone!
20:21:29 From Mark Mynsted to Everyone : https://www.unisonweb.org/docs/abilities
20:24:52 From John Wise to Everyone : Jason great talk as always but I need to run. Take care and see you all next month.
20:32:09 From Mark Mynsted to Everyone : https://github.com/unisonweb/unison/issues/798
20:38:44 From Jason Orendorff to Everyone : https://pwlconf.org/2019/heidi-howard/

Great night! Thank you all.

-Bryan