Updates on critical edition of Kitāb al-majdal?

Luke Yarbrough

Oct 13, 2021, 6:22:59 PM10/13/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear NASCAS,

I am writing to ask whether any list members are able to provide an update regarding any plans to publish a critical edition of the well-known East Syrian theological summa Kitāb al-majdal. There have been many mentions of such an edition in recent decades—notably by the renowned scholars Bo Holmberg and, especially, Frs. Gianmaria Gianazza and Samir Khalil Samir. Fr. Gianazza has produced, of course, an excellent edition and Italian translation of the related work Asfar al-asrār. However, I have not been successful in my efforts to discover whether a published edition of Kitāb al-majdal is also to be expected.

WIth thanks for any news and best wishes to all,
Luke Yarbrough

Davide Righi

Oct 14, 2021, 3:18:07 AM10/14/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Kind Luke,

I can confirm that Gianazza is working on it.

Davide Righi
‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒
prof. don Davide Righi
Docente stabile straordinario c/o FTER - Facoltà Teologica dell'Emilia-Romagna
piazzale Bacchelli 4 - 40136 - Bologna - uff. 051-3392914  - cell. 328-5937877

vicepresidente e segretario del Gruppo di Ricerca Arabo-Cristiana (www.grac.it)
piazzale Bacchelli 4 - 40136 - Bologna

Luke Yarbrough

Oct 18, 2021, 9:25:41 PM10/18/21
to North American Society for Christian Arabic Studies
Dear Davide,
Many thanks for this update. I will appreciate any additional information that may become available, and will look forward to an eventual announcement of publication.
All my best,
Luke

Davide Righi

Oct 19, 2021, 3:22:53 PM10/19/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
We (GRAC) have planned to publish PCAC 22 and PCAC 23 that are the critical edition and italian translation of a part of the fifth book of kitab al-Mijdal next year.

The books are in the draft state.

Gianazza is working for a publication of the critical edition of the complete kitab al-mijdal, if I'm not wrong.

Davide Righi