Icon with Rawh al-Qurashiy?

Lukáš Nosek

Oct 1, 2021, 4:14:47 AM10/1/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

I hope that you are happy,healthy and fully of joy.
Just now I have translated hagiography of Rawh al-Qurashiy into czech language from Dick edition.Of course with introductory study.
But I am looking for the icon with Rawh (s.Anthony) or some picture with him.Maybe only from historic literature much younger.Does exist something like it?Do you know?
Can anyone help me?

Thank you very much

Sincerely yours

Lukas ibn al-Masih from Prague

Albocicade

Oct 1, 2021, 7:13:08 AM10/1/21
to NASCAS
Dear Lukas,
I am not sure such an icon exists (though it should, as St Antony- Ruwah is mentionned in the treatises on icons of TAQ), and the only picture I have seen yet with this text is the icon of St Theodore. But another picture may be useful : the inner part of a "greek church", with the "katekoumenion". It took me a long time to understand HOW Ruwah was abble to see into the church from his chambers, and HOW he could practice archery from his window intio the church, until i went to a greek monastery (in France !) where I could get into that upper gallery with external access. From there, one can see all the church, even the altar.
(We find the same structure in the text known as "Georgius m. Diospoli in Palaestina (S.), De uisio Saraceni" in the Pinakes basis.)
Good luck.
Albocicade

Christian C. Sahner

Oct 1, 2021, 9:23:00 AM10/1/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Lukas,
As far as I'm aware, there is no medieval or modern iconography of Anthony al-Qurashi. This is typical of most of the martyrs of the early Islamic period, for whom we have no surviving images of any kind.

For what it's worth, in my book, in the chapter dealing with Anthony, I included an image of a 9th-century icon of St. Theodore from Sinai -- presumably similar to the one mentioned in the biography. Perhaps something like this would suffice?

Congratulations on your translation.
Best wishes,

Christian Sahner

Lukáš Nosek

Oct 1, 2021, 1:41:36 PM10/1/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Albocicade
thanks a lot! Your questions are exactly my questions. Exactly: "HOW Ruwah was abble to see into the church from his chambers, and HOW he could practice archery from his window intio the church." Very interesting topics!!!
But in my opinion this theme is very overlooked and undervalued!
Anyway, In sha´allah i will write some articles in english about Rawh!

Thank you very much, and God bless, be joyfull!

Luqa ibn al-Masih al-Braghyyi

Bez virů. www.avast.com

Lukáš Nosek

Oct 1, 2021, 1:52:33 PM10/1/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Christian,

thank you very much for your email and reaction. Yes it´s truth, that icons of martyrs of the early Islamic period dont exist.
And indeed, in your book on the page 86 is fantastic icon of Theodor. Thanks a lot for this note. It will help me.
By the way, your book is fantastic!

And small personal note: one of my son is Theodor, so we collect photos, and icons with Theodor. And exactly this one, we overlooked:-)

so thank you very much

God bless, be happy and full of joy

with gratitude

Luqa ibn al-Masih from Prague