Name in Colophon

Peter Tarras

Jun 10, 2022, 3:15:14 AM6/10/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear NASCAS members,

In the colophon of Sinai Ar. 75 (f. 222r), we find the name of the manuscript’s commissioner. The Arabic reads: سسنه الراهب الحمصي, i.e. Ssnh the monk from Homs. As you see, I have some difficulty matching the consonantal letters of his first name with known given names. The rasm Ssnh, however, seems to be clear, see the image attached. Is anyone able to identify this name? Might it be a Syriac or Persian name? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
Peter
---
Peter Tarras, M.A.
Universität Würzburg
Institut für Philosophie
Reisdenzplatz 2

Ramez Mikhail

Jun 10, 2022, 3:40:17 AM6/10/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Could it be possibly Sisinnius ?

Elie Estephan

Jun 10, 2022, 9:58:55 AM6/10/22
to 'Aurélien Girard' via North American Society for Christian Arabic Studies
Good morning, Peter.

I pray you are well.

I don't think this is his first name. It is more likely a verb in past tense (3rd person masc. sing) with the Ha (ـه) at the end referring to "it" (the manuscript). something like (نسخَهُ). if it was a first name, it should come after the word the monk (الراهب) and not before. See if you have any other colophone somewhere else in the manuscript. In some cases, they (the monks) don't mention their names.
Fr. Elie Estephan, Ph.D.

Lev Weitz

Jun 11, 2022, 8:18:26 AM6/11/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Hello colleagues,

I agree that the name appears to be سسنه, which occurs very commonly as a given name among Egyptian Christians in the papyrological record, especially in documents of the tenth and eleventh centuries. Maybe someone with better Coptic (and Greek and Latin) than mine has some insight on the etymology, though Ramez's point sounds good to me. Grohmann, Arabic Papyri in the Egyptian Library vol. 1, p. 179, says the Coptic name is usually spelled ⲥⲓⲥⲓⲛⲛⲁ, ⲥⲓⲥⲓⲛⲓ, or ⲥⲓⲥⲛⲉ; Crum, Coptic Manuscripts Brought from the Fayyum, p. 55, gives Greek versions that are presumably found in papyri as well.

All best,
Lev

Peter Tarras

Jun 13, 2022, 2:34:03 AM6/13/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ramez, dear Elie, dear Lev,

thank you all for your responses!

Dear Lev, thank you especially for the extremely valuable cross-references!

Best wishes,
Peter

Best wishes,
Peter
<Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-10 um 09.04.32 (2).png>