Arabic/Syriac (?) Liturgical Term for an Altar Covering

Ramez Mikhail

May 12, 2022, 3:25:04 PM5/12/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear NASCASiyyūn

I am working with an Arabic translation of the Liturgy of James from a Sinai manuscript. At two points, it mentions what appears to be a covering for the eucharistic gifts on the altar (equivalent to the Byzantine aer?) using an Arabic and/or Syriac term.

fol. 245r: Then the farṭīnā is spread over the altar

fol. 245v: Then he (the priest) uncovers the qarṭabīnā

Presumably, the two instances refer to the same object, but transliterated slightly differently. I was unable to locate any thing similar in Graf's Verzeichnis. Attaching here images of both instances. I would appreciate if you can help me decipher this term.

Kind regards

Arsenius Mikhail

Sinai 237 JAS 2.jpg
Sinai 237 James.jpg

Kim Sergey

May 12, 2022, 4:47:52 PM5/12/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I would propose to read qrtyn’ in both cases, which would correspond to the Middle-Greek κουρτίνα  “cloth cover”.

See Modern Greek:
An Italian etymology is proposed there: it should be verified…

Best,
Sergey

sitkwa ...

May 12, 2022, 5:58:20 PM5/12/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com
QurTîna certainly makes sense to me!

Ramez Mikhail

May 12, 2022, 6:03:01 PM5/12/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Fr. Andrew,

I am glad it is a recognizable term! Can you please explain it? Is it from Syriac or Arabic? Arabic ecclesiastical terms are often different among the various Arabic-speaking communities, since they often depend on the underlying oriental languages (Coptic, Greek, Syriac...etc.) but I just can't put my finger on this one.

Much appreciated!

Fr. Arsenius

sitkwa ...

May 12, 2022, 6:15:36 PM5/12/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Father Arsenius,
X.A.!
I think Fr Sergiy has got it right, it is from Italian cortina (Engl. curtain) > middle Greek kortina > Arabic qurTîna.  This transfer could have occurred almost anywhere near a port.  It reminds me of Tawla from Italian tavola (ex Latin tabula cf. English/French table, German Tafel etc.). Maltese abounds in such loans.
ig. A

Dimitri Morozov

May 12, 2022, 6:55:15 PM5/12/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Arsenius,
Please see
image.png

قرطين Sin.Ar.436 Le Muséon 86 1973 390

Sincerely,

Dmitry.

чт, 12 мая 2022 г. в 22:25, Ramez Mikhail <mikhai...@gmail.com>:

Ramez Mikhail

May 12, 2022, 7:29:13 PM5/12/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Fr. Andrew....Alēthōs anestē O Kyrios!

Thank you for elaborating. For some reason I did not receive Fr. Sergiy's response. This makes sense.

Is this a common Byzantine/Melkite liturgical term of that time period, either in Greek or Arabic? Am I correct in assuming this is the aer in our familiar terminology? If this term is not commonly used as such, what may be the significance of this hapax? Thank you for engaging with this query!

Arsenius

sitkwa ...

May 13, 2022, 7:12:50 AM5/13/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Fr Arsenius, I think Dmitri Morozov has given an excellent reference.  However, I don't think the term is very frequently encountered.
yours, ig. Andrew