RIP - Emilio Giuseppe Platti OP (1943-2021)

Dennis Halft

Oct 26, 2021, 4:15:02 AM10/26/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com, Direction IDÉO, MIDÉO Mélanges de l'Idéo
Dear Colleagues,

We are deeply saddened to announce the sudden and unexpected death of our friend, colleague, and confrere Emilio Giuseppe Platti OP (1943-2021), who passed away in the Dominican Priory in Leuven, Belgium, yesterday.

Emilio was professor emeritus of Islamic studies at KU Leuven and a long-time member of IDEO in Cairo. He was a close friend to the community that he visited regularly. Between 2008 and 2015, he served as editor-in-chief of MIDEOMore than 150 publications by Emilio are listed in the catalogue of IDEO's library.

As an expert on Christian-Muslim relations, Emilio published widely on Islam and Arab Christianity. One of his last articles, entitled "De Graf à Griffith. L’œuvre classique des Arabes chrétiens," appeared in MIDEO 35 (2020), 301-322. One of his major monographs, Islam, Friend or Foe? (Louvain Theological & Pastoral Monographs, 37), Leuven: Peeters, 2008, was translated into several languages.

Emilio was a kind and gentle man and his sense of humor set him apart. We will miss him very much.

R.I.P.

With deepest sympathies and warmest regards,

Dennis Halft OP

Emilio Platti OP (1943-2021).jfif

--
Dr. Dennis Halft OP
Directeur de la publication / Editor-in-Chief / رئيس تحريرالمجلّة

Secrétariat 1 rue al-Ṭarābīchī | ʿAbbāssiyya B.P. 18
11381 Le Caire Égypte

Hainthaler, Theresia

Oct 26, 2021, 4:33:18 AM10/26/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com, Direction IDÉO, MIDÉO Mélanges de l'Idéo

In fact, this is a great loss and sad news.

With deep gratitude for the occasions when I could meet him and for his work highly appreciated!

R.i.p.

Theresia

Hainthaler

Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Theresia Hainthaler

Offenbacher Landstr. 224

D-60599 Frankfurt/Main

Tel.: ++49 (69) 6061-295

Fax: ++49 (69) 6061-330

e-mail: hain...@sankt-georgen.de

or: thain...@freenet.de

http://www.sankt-georgen.de/lehrstuehlelehrende/emeriti/theresia-hainthaler/

Lukáš Nosek

Oct 26, 2021, 4:33:47 AM10/26/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dennis,

I am sorry, I am deeply sadd! Father Emilie he was my teacher during my cairo studies in Dar Comboni. He was fantastic! From his interpretation of Islamic philosophy I live to this day and I give my students what he has given me. With a briefcase and full of thoughts, like a relentless volcano, he still shot thoughts and interpretations. I will never forget his underlining of Asharit theology and their thinking.

With deepest sympathies
R.I.P.

Lukas from Prague

ff1m...@uco.es

Oct 26, 2021, 6:10:09 AM10/26/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com, Dennis Halft, Direction IDÉO, MIDÉO Mélanges de l'Idéo
Dear Dennis,

Very sad news! Fr. Emilio was a great man, a great scholar and a great
friend. We are much indebted with him in many respects. Rest in peace!

With deepest condolences for his family and Dominican brothers.

Juan Pedro

Dennis Halft <denni...@gmail.com> escribió:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> We are deeply saddened to announce the sudden and unexpected death of our
> friend, colleague, and confrere *Emilio Giuseppe Platti OP (1943-2021)*,
> who passed away in the Dominican Priory in Leuven, Belgium, yesterday.
>
> Emilio was professor emeritus of Islamic studies at KU Leuven and a
> long-time member of IDEO in Cairo
> <https://www.ideo-cairo.org/en/emilio-platti-o-p-2/>. He was a close friend
> to the community that he visited regularly. Between 2008 and 2015, he
> served as editor-in-chief of *MIDEO*. More than 150 publications
> <https://alkindi.ideo-cairo.org/agent/1585> by Emilio are listed in the
> catalogue of IDEO's library.
>
> As an expert on Christian-Muslim relations, Emilio published widely on
> Islam and Arab Christianity. One of his last articles, entitled "De Graf à
> Griffith. L??uvre classique des Arabes chrétiens
> <https://journals.openedition.org/mideo/5627>," appeared in *MIDEO *35
> (2020), 301-322. One of his major monographs, *Islam, Friend or
> Foe?* (Louvain
> Theological & Pastoral Monographs, 37), Leuven: Peeters, 2008, was
> translated into several languages.
>
> Emilio was a kind and gentle man and his sense of humor set him apart. We
> will miss him very much.
>
> R.I.P.
>
> With deepest sympathies and warmest regards,
>
> Dennis Halft OP
>

> [image: Emilio Platti OP (1943-2021).jfif]
>

> --
> Dr. Dennis Halft OP
> *Directeur de la publication */* Editor-in-Chief */ ???? ????????????
>
> *MIDÉO* (*Mélanges de l'Institut dominicain d'études orientales*)
> <https://journals.openedition.org/mideo/?lang=fr>
> Secrétariat | 1 rue al-?ar?b?ch? | ?Abb?ssiyya B.P. 18 |
> 11381 Le Caire | Égypte
> mi...@ideo-cairo.org

Myriam Wissa

Oct 26, 2021, 8:06:41 AM10/26/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com, Direction IDÉO, MIDÉO Mélanges de l'Idéo
May the Lord rest his soul in peace and eternal joy.
Sincere condolences to his family and his Dominican family at large.

It is obviously a great loss to the scholarly field of Islamic theology, Christians of the Middle East along with Coptic studies.

All best .

Myriam

Dr Myriam Wissa
University of London

Michael Olney

Oct 26, 2021, 9:12:25 AM10/26/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com, Myriam Wissa, Direction IDÉO, MIDÉO Mélanges de l'Idéo

Rifaat Ebied

Oct 26, 2021, 7:10:47 PM10/26/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com, Myriam Wissa, Direction IDÉO, MIDÉO Mélanges de l'Idéo

I am very saddened to learn of the sudden passing away of a dear colleague & friend. My deepest condolences to his relatives and friends.

May the Lord repose his soul; RIP.

Rifaat

Professor Rifaat Ebied, FAHA JP
Emeritus Professor of Semitic Studies,

The University of Sydney,
Honorary Professor, Australian Catholic University
, Sydney college of Divinity and St. Cyril’s Coptic Theological College,
School of Languages and Cultures

M. MaCallum Building A18

The University of Sydney
Sydney NSW 2006 Australia