University of Cambridge Byzantine Worlds Seminar - Friday, 27 May 2022 - Lecture on the Syriac Melkites

Adrian Pirtea

May 24, 2022, 10:16:32 AM5/24/22
to North American Society for Christian Arabic Studies
Dear colleagues,

please forgive this bit of self-promotion, but some members of this group may be interested in a talk I will give this Friday (27th May, 5 pm, UK time, on Zoom). I'm copying the invitation below. Feel free to join! For any questions, you can contact me or the organizer.
Best regards,

Adrian

Dear colleagues,

I hope this email finds you well. I'm excited to announce this week's talk, the first Cambridge Byzantine Worlds Seminar this Easter term.  Friday 27th of May at 5pm (U.K. time) Adrian Pirtea (University of Vienna) will discuss the history of Syriac Melkites during the early Islamic period. The seminar will take place on Zoom.

ABSTRACT

Syriac Melkites in the Early Islamic Period: History, Identity,
Manuscript Culture

Adrian Pirtea (Universität Wien)
27 May, 5pm UK time

By way of a few representative case studies, I will argue that contextualizing the production and circulation of Syro-Melkite manuscripts in the early Islamic period (many of which are now kept on Mt Sinai) can offer new insights into how the Chalcedonian (Melkite) Syriac community developed a distinct confessional and cultural identity in the multireligious context of the Umayyad and Abbasid caliphates. First, I will discuss the tense relationship between Syriac Monotheletes and Dyotheletes in the seventh-eighth centuries, as mirrored by the Syriac Patristic florilegia of the period. In the second part, I will show how Syriac Melkites contributed to the creation of a ‘Syro-Byzantine’ cultural synthesis, esp. in the areas of monastic-ascetic literature and the liturgy. Finally, I will briefly explore the role of multilingualism as a potential marker of identity among the Melkites of early Islamic Palestine.
Research for this lecture is carried out as part of a Marie-Skłodowska-Curie Fellowship at the Institute of Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies of the University of Vienna (Grant Nr. 841476).

Please feel free to share!

I hope to see you all this Friday

All the best,

Ioan-Gabriel Alexandru

Convenor of Byzantine Worlds Seminar (2021-2022)

Topic: Byzantine Worlds Semniar (Easter Term S1)

Time: May 27, 2022 05:00 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83253659586?pwd=bkpINWJUa3Q1aHd3cUJkUDhiRGZHdz09

Meeting ID: 832 5365 9586

Passcode: 3BPS81

One tap mobile

+12532158782,,83253659586#,,,,*124063# US (Tacoma)

+13017158592,,83253659586#,,,,*124063# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location

        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)