One or two Sergiuses?

Hilary Waardenburg

Jul 11, 2021, 12:03:50 PM7/11/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Nasacisa,
In al-Shābushtī's section on Dayr Fīq, the poem ascribed to Abū Nuwās has a line: بِحَجِّكَ قَاصِدًا مَاسِرْجِسَان ٍ  فَدَيْرَ ٱلنَّوْبَهَارِ فَدَيْرَ فِيقِ
Does this refer to St. Sergius with a slightly modified name, or to Sts Sergius and Bacchus, where the dual form would denote two different but generally associated individuals.
Many thanks for your help and best wishes,
Hilary Kilpatrick

Balaeilangroudi, Ali

Jul 15, 2021, 7:42:19 PM7/15/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com

Good Morning,

To the best of my knowledge, دیر النوبهار was a Buddhist monastery in Khurasan. I'm curious to learn how do we know that the other monastery, دیر فیق, must refer to Mar Serguis', or Serguis' and Bacchus' monastery.

Yours,

Ali

Göttingen

Jul 17, 2021, 3:06:34 AM7/17/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Hilary

I think al-Shābushtī''s description doesn't match with Sts Sergius and Bacchus.
As he says, the church was between فيق witch is Afik / אפיק and بحيرة طبرية witch is Sea of Galilee, and it was pecked in the stones in the mountain.
I believe none of these descriptions match Sts Sergius and Bacchus.

Regards,
MohammadReza
Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 17/07/21, 11:35:06

Hilary Waardenburg

Jul 18, 2021, 11:36:56 AM7/18/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear MohammedReza,
Thank you very much for this suggestion. I confess I hadn't considered the geographical aspect closely. But I understand the line to mean:
"By your pilgrimage making for Mār Sirjisānand the monasteries of Nawbahār and Fīq". The pilgrim addressed is evidently a globetrotter, who visits Balkh /Nawbahār, Fīq in Palestine and also one of the monasteries connected with St.Sergius - or SS. Sergius and Bacchus. There are at least two well-known monasteries with the double dedication, one in Syria and the other in Egypt.
والله أعلم
Best wishes,
Hilary

Carlson, Thomas Andrew

Jul 19, 2021, 12:26:14 AM7/19/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Hilary,

I am afraid I cannot resolve your question, but I can perhaps add to it.  Yaqut al-Hamawi's entry on Dayr Fiq, which you probably have already checked, is derived from al-Shabushti and he quotes this line of poetry, but he also has an entry for a Sergius and Bacchus monastery (دير سرجس وبكس) in southern Iraq.  I also glanced at Elizabeth Campbell's 2009 dissertation at the University of Washington (do you know it?), and she mentions this monastery only in passing, but cites al-Baladhuri's Futuh al-Buldan (de Goeje ed.), 290, for the assertion that al-Hajjaj took the gates of Dayr Masirjisan when he built Wasit.  I have pasted the relevant passage of de Goeje's edition below my signature.  But I cannot say whether Masirjisan is the same as this Sergius & Bacchus monastery in southern Iraq.

Best wishes,
Thomas