search for manuscript on Ibn Zur'a

giovanni.mandolino

May 23, 2022, 5:47:45 PM5/23/22
to North American Society for Christian Arabic Studies
Hello everybody,
glad to join the NASCAS mailing list! I am looking for a manuscript of a treatise by Ibn Zur'a (treatise n. 4 in Sbath's edition). It is a Cairo manuscript:
MS Cairo, Coptic Patriarchate – Theol. 224 (Simaika 363, Graf 644), fols 144r-147v (year 1744).
Apparently, it is the same manuscript listed in Peter Starr's dissertation on Ibn Z. as:
Coptic Patriarchate Simaika 533 / Graf 644 (call no. theology 182).
I checked the catalogues and the online manuscripts at:
but I am not sure whether it is actually online or not, and whatever numbering I search for, there seems to be no online reproduction.
Can anyone help me solve the puzzle?
Thank you in advance

Giovanni Mandolino

Alexandre Roberts

May 24, 2022, 2:56:01 AM5/24/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com

Dear Giovanni,

I don’t have an answer for you, only a reference that might help you make sense of the inconsistency between the two sets of call numbers (in case you haven’t consulted it yet), Father Samir’s, Tables de concordance des manuscrits arabes chrétiens du Caire et du Sinai (Louvain, 1986), introduction to the part on Cairo, where the three catalogs are discussed.

This book is now available for 1-hour borrowing on Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/tablesdeconcorda0000sami/page/42/mode/2up?view=theater

(I will “return” the book now so that you can “borrow” it.)

Best wishes,

Alex

Alexandre Roberts

Associate Professor of Classics

University of Southern California

Los Angeles, California

Reason and Revelation in Byzantine Antioch

https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520343498/