Russian stamps

Luke Yarbrough

May 26, 2022, 9:32:24 AM5/26/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear NASCAS,

I am writing on behalf of a student who is seeking to decipher an uninked, embossed stamp she has found in an (Islamic) Arabic manuscript in the UCLA collections.. The stamp (image attached) bears Cyrillic writing. In the same ms., there is a similar stamp (also attached) featuring the double-headed eagle of the coat of arms of the Russian Empire (my wholly unscientific investigation suggests it's the second version of the coat of Czar Nicholas I, ca. 1830: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Russia#/media/File:Russian_COA_1825%E2%80%9455_A.jpg).

Any assistance in reading the other stamp would be greatly appreciated. These are the best images available at present.

Best wishes,
Luke Yarbrough
double_eagle.png
cyrillic_embossing.png

Hieromonk Gregory

May 26, 2022, 9:45:58 AM5/26/22
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Luke,

This is a stamp of the paper mill established by the merchant I. G. Aristarkhov that existed in the Kaluga district between 1839 and ca. 1855.
The text is:

Фабрики
№ 6
Аристархова

Translation: (Paper) of sort # 6 by Aristarkhov's mill.
Aristarkhov's paper was very popular in Russia, it was called "Аристарховская" ("Aristarkhov's (scil., paper)").
On this paper mill, see this book (in Russian), p. 573

Basil Lourié

Luke Yarbrough

May 26, 2022, 11:43:00 AM5/26/22
to North American Society for Christian Arabic Studies
Dear Basil,

Wow, this is fascinating and extremely helpful! On behalf of my student and myself, many thanks indeed for the thorough and authoritative answer.

Best wishes,
Luke

Hieromonk Gregory

May 26, 2022, 12:44:25 PM5/26/22