Kanasi script?

Marion Marmotte

Oct 8, 2021, 2:13:57 PM10/8/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

I remember reading somewhere about a Christian Arabic script called Kanasi/qanasi?.

I don`t remember the name exactly, but maybe someone will help me to remember?
Or perhaps suggest an article/book on the scripts of late Christian Arabic sources?

I will be very grateful,
Thank you,
Marion

Isa Almisry

Oct 8, 2021, 2:39:59 PM10/8/21
to North American Society for Christian Arabic Studies
Karshuni/Garshuni, Arabic in Syriac script?
https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Garshuni

Marion Marmotte

Oct 8, 2021, 2:48:04 PM10/8/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your reply. No, I know Garshuni. It was the name of an Arabic script, such as the Naskh script.

Dimitri Morozov

Oct 8, 2021, 3:26:57 PM10/8/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Marion,
Kanasi (كنسي) just means "ecclesiastic", I guess that the handwriting of Greek Orthodox and Greek Catholic mostly Liturgical Mss in Arabic in the 17th and the 18th centuries is referred to. This handwriting is easily recognisable for its high letters slanting to the left, similar to the fonts of many Christian editions, especially those of Van Dyck's Bible up to the last years.
Best wishes,
Dmitry.

Marion Marmotte

Oct 8, 2021, 3:36:46 PM10/8/21
to nas...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much dear Dmitry,
That was exactly what I was looking for.