Models

Giles Williams

Jan 8, 2018, 12:05:28 PM1/8/18
to Narrowboat Simulator
I'd like to get involved in making some models for NS. Some boats and possibly some canal locations.

What format would you prefer models/texture in? What scale do you use (1 unit = 1 meter?)

Given I'm fairly experienced in producing models for games, what do you think I'd need to know to produce canal elements?

Looking forward to dropping a model or two in your lap soon.

-- Giles.

Michael

Jan 9, 2018, 9:16:21 AM1/9/18
to Narrowboat Simulator
Yesterday, I already answered this message but accidentially by PM.
As my answer might be interesting for other people, I'll post it again in the Public:

That sounds great!
---
Important things first (sorry for this). Just be aware that although my project is a hobby project it might become commercial in one way or the other some day. That means that if you contribute assets it would be helpful if you have no objections to their use in such a case.

The other aspect is the use of third party data, i.e. textures. Own photos are ideal. Other sources should be public domain/cc0 or cc-by. GPL/cc-by-sa licenses or similar are problematic. Bought materials are basically ok if the license allows passing it to another developer. Google maps/sat/streetview material can't be used in the game.
---
I use Blender to edit/construct the 3d models. Moving parts are put in separate objects with the axis in the object "origin". Also some objects are grouped where it makes sense. The scale is 1 unit=1m but rescaling is not very problematic. Objects ground level is usually at z=0.

I can also make use of dae/collada and obj files. Sketchup may work but is slightly problematic on import.

Naturally, models shouldn't be too complex. Especially considering the game running on mobile devices. Blender allows to decimate model complexity but only with mixed results.

Textures can be either in png or jpg. I can usually convert other formats. Most textures will end up being no bigger than 512px wide in the game. With some exceptions of 1024px. Normal/Specular maps etc. are not used, yet. (testing a bit)

If I find time, I will send you some blender file (or dae if preferred) as example tomorrow.

I am happy about boats/bridges/aqueducts/locks/buildings. But basically, everything is ok.

Thank you,
Michael

Meanwhile, Giles already provided the first model (and sound recordings of the engine!). I plan to include it in the next version. I attached some images of the first test ride.

Michael

otter_left.jpg
otter_stern_up.jpg
otter_stern1.jpg

Giles Williams

Feb 1, 2018, 5:45:05 PM2/1/18
to Narrowboat Simulator
How would the Godot engine and your simulator treat a model with an open hold that extended below the waterline?

I have a model work-in-progress of the 3m wide workboat I've spent quite a lot of time on recently, but it has a large open hold...

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 22.39.51.PNG
IMG_20180126_101620.jpg

Michael

Feb 2, 2018, 2:35:39 AM2/2/18
to Narrowboat Simulator
That is indeed a challenge ;-)
Until now I avoided this topic and can't handle it properly. So the workboat would be full of water.

But I'll have a look into the water shader. It should be possible.

Ashley Hamman

Jan 18, 2021, 5:38:22 AM1/18/21
to Narrowboat Simulator
I discovered this game a few nights ago and am interested in seeing more content as well. I've done enough modding in another game to have the most basic understanding of modelling and texturing. When it comes to making a level, is there an example (like perhaps the tutorial pond?) that could be used to gauge my own creation? I'm thinking about just making a fictional canal, not based on anything in particular, and do use Blender as well.

Michael

Jan 20, 2021, 10:31:17 AM1/20/21
to Narrowboat Simulator
Hi Ashley,
Models are usually made in Blender. That ist correct. But I import that file (as of now often via some dae/collade export (godot plugin) into the Game engine which I use which is "Godot" (v3.x). In that process which involves a script then collision shapes are added for the canal embankment and materials are set/replaced and shaders are applied. This sometimes depends on the naming of the materials.

Those levels will then be added other things like starting points and maybe collision shapes / areas for tasks.

Generally, I have no ready interface for user made mods/levels in the game as of now. But looking at all the caveats of including levels being supplied by users this might be the best idea in many ways. Naturally, such an "import" interface would be probably for for the windows/linux only (maybe for macs as well) where you would have to care less about performance, memory and requirements of the "app store". Also I'd have to care less about legal issues like the ownership/copyright of involved models & textures if the "mod" isn't supplied by me. Especially because levels usually include more textures/data than 3d models of boats or single (technical) buildings.

Bigger levels usually have to include other techniques like splatmaps, LOD and similar which would make the topic a bit more complex.

But to get back to your question. Here's a simple blender file which was the base for the VR Testground Level.
https://www.netteecken.de/nbs/download/provided/simplelevel.zip

But to make it clear: If you should provide a user made level, I absolutely can't guarantee that it will be included in the game. This all depends on many factors.

But I'll also will think about being able to "sideload" levels being made in blender+godot (not promising it will come either).